Senior Advisor Environment
Job Type: Full time
BHP and OZ Minerals
OZ Minerals is now proudly part of BHP, with the acquisition strengthening BHP’s portfolio in copper and nickel, helping to meet the worlds increasing demand for the critical minerals needed for electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels, to supporting the energy transition to a cleaner and more sustainable future.
In combining our two organisations we will be able to provide more options for growth, bringing new talent and innovation together to unlock these resources in a sustainable way, and deliver value to our shareholders and the communities in which we operate.
Our strategy has and will always be to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. As we work through this transitional period of bringing both organisations safely together, we know that some processes will take longer than others and for now we will be continuing to temporarily recruit roles for our West Musgrave project within the OZ Minerals recruiting platform.
About the Role
Location: West Musgrave, Western Australia
Roster: 2 weeks on, 1 week off
Reporting to: Manager – Environment & Secondary Approvals
Contract Type: Permanent
Pay & Benefits: We offer competitive Australian mining industry pay and benefits. We can talk about specifics later.
Reporting to the Manager – Environment & Secondary Approvals, you will support the Project Team in delivering the construction of the West Musgrave Project and contributing to environmental improvement opportunities throughout the construction phase of the Project.
Your primary function will be to ensure that the Construction Environment Management Plan (CEMP) and all regulatory and Mining Agreement obligations are adhered to by construction contractors. You will also ensure that all foreseeable environmental and social risks are identified and proactively managed. You will actively contribute to oversight of compliance with the internal Land Access and Disturbance Permit system.
Leaving hierarchy at the door, you will build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and relentlessly focus on collaboration.
Identifying threats and opportunities is second nature. You thrive on innovation and seek new ideas from your team and partners to manage risks, improve environmental management on-site and create value.
You set direction and lead your team to achieve the deliverables at hand, coaching and mentoring along the way.
The Senior Advisor Environment role will focus on ensuring the West Musgrave Project is safely delivered on time and on budget. Specifically, this includes:
- Develop and implement systems and processes to enable the project delivery and construction teams to comply with Environmental and Cultural Heritage commitments for all Regulatory requirements and Local-Level Agreements
- Develop and deliver materials to onboard our construction partners so that systems, processes, and requirements are understood and embedded in the site culture.
- Oversee the implementation of the Environmental and Cultural Heritage Management Systems and monitor compliance against approvals conditions and commitments.
- Support the implementation and management of the land disturbance permitting process, particularly in relation to commitments made to the Ngaanyatjarra community.
- Lead a high-performing cross-functional team to enable leading practice in environmental compliance and foster the intent of the ‘We Grow Sustainability’ plan.
- Governance and reporting against the environmental and cultural heritage management systems
- Prepare or contribute to reporting as required to meet approvals conditions, compliance reporting and broader sustainability reporting.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to pre-empt and manage threats and identify opportunities to minimise impacts on environmental and cultural values.
- Work closely with the Operational Community and Environment Teams to manage relationships with key Stakeholders
- Work closely with the Community team for Ngaanyatjarra community engagement and interaction activities.
- Steer the construction project through its approvals obligations and set the site culture up to succeed by embracing our commitment to sustainability and ‘We Care’.
This role requires a self-motivated, hands on and values-based individual with a desire to deliver best practice outcomes with skills, experience, and personal attributes including:
- Extensive environmental management and compliance experience (10-15yrs), preferably within projects converting from construction to the operational phase.
- Experience supervising construction contract partners to deliver environmental compliance.
- Ability to build positive and respectful relationships with Traditional Owners and work collaboratively with Aboriginal leaders and organisations.
- A confident collaborator with experience supporting collaboration with diverse stakeholders to build and maintain positive and trustworthy relationships.
- Proven experience in developing and executing robust and lean environmental systems for construction projects.
- Proven experience in monitoring, communicating and correcting compliance with the plan.
- Interest in partnering with contractors to accelerate ESG related goals.
- Experience in optimising environmental management activities and achieving best practice environmental outcomes on a large-scale construction Project.
- An autonomous and self-driven professional with high accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to anticipate issues and act accordingly to mitigate them.
- Relevant tertiary qualification or work experience
If the above excites you, and even makes you a little nervous, then we want you to apply! It’s an exciting and transformative time for us and we need creative, collaborative and great people like you.
We are an equal opportunity employer who supports diversity within our workforce. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
Applications close Friday 2 June 2023. Shortlisting will commence immediately, apply now!
An exciting opportunity for a Senior Advisor Environment to join a team using renewables and technology to deliver a world class mine. Be part of a unique culture where you are supported to be the best you can be, both at work and in your personal life.
Is having a job with Purpose important to you? A role where you consistently deliver exceptional results and 'Go Beyond What's Possible, To Make Lives Better?'
At West Musgrave, we focus on both WHAT and HOW you deliver exceptional results. The OZWay and our HWWT Principles and Behaviours are what guide us. Genuine care for our people is supported by Work Life Plans and our We Care Safety program. With Development Plans a key enabler to ensuring you will always be learning and growing, we are committed to supoprting our workforce to be the best they can be.