Cabinet Support Officer - Ministerial and CLLO Services
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Job Type: Full time
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
One QFES. Many Services, Many Capabilities, Many Partners
AO4Salary: $80,352.00 - $88,109.00per annum
Strategy & Corporate Services
Ministerial & CLLO Servs
Closing Date:Midnight, Wednesday, 7 June 2023
Current QFES employees and volunteers must apply via their internal careers site
As a department our purpose is to help the community to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the impact of fire and emergency events.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is the primary provider of fire, rescue and emergency management programs and services throughout Queensland. The department encompasses the Fire and Rescue Service, disaster management services, the Rural Fire Service and the State Emergency Service, and also supports other volunteer groups providing emergency response to Queenslanders.
QFES is one department with many services, many capabilities and many partners.
Purpose of the role
Ministerial and Cabinet Legislation Liaison Office (CLLO) is responsible for senior liaison and support to the Office of the Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services and the Commissioner, QFES through the provision of ministerial, executive and corporate communications services. The unit contains the senior liaison functions of QFES, including the Cabinet Legislation and Liaison Officer; Departmental Liaison Officer and Ministerial Liaison Officer; and provides a high standard of correspondence and government briefing documentation for all Cabinet, Cabinet Committee and Executive Council matters in a timely manner.
Reporting to the Cabinet Legislation and Liaison Officer, you will be a key member of the team providing high quality and confidential executive, administrative and policy support, including secure storage and document management functions, coordinating the preparation of material for governing from the regions, and meeting requests which require input from departmental personnel to ensure the Commissioner and Minister are effectively prepared with appropriate information and documentation for all Cabinet, Cabinet Committee and Executive Council meetings and matters, including some Parliamentary business to meet government enquires.
Highly desirable requirements
- Understanding of Cabinet, Parliamentary, Executive Council and machinery of Government processes will be highly regarded.
Your key accountabilities
Your part in the ongoing success of our department, in supporting key frontline services will see you responsible for a variety of work, including, but not limited to:
- Provide a high standard of confidential executive and administrative support, including screening phone calls, coordination of incoming enquiries and requests, and preparation of briefing documentation, and compilation of folders in relation to Cabinet and Cabinet Committee meetings.
- Coordinate and register (on a weekly basis) the review and response to confidential discussion papers and other consultation requests, circulated through the CLLO network within required timeframes.
- Coordinate and assist in the development and review of policy submissions, briefings, reports, presentations, correspondence and speeches, including proof reading, formatting and quality assurance of drafts as required.
- Review submissions, briefing notes, Executive Council documents and correspondence to ensure they are constructive and well-written, and any recommendations provided are supported by the discussion in the body of the submission.
- Prepare summaries of Cabinet Decisions for the Commissioner and relevant senior executive officers to ensure communication and implementation of decisions arising from these meetings.
- Assist the CLLO and departmental officers to conduct six-monthly reports on the implementation of Cabinet and Cabinet Committee decisions which fall within the responsibility of the Minister and QFES.
- Communicate and liaise with staff, clients and key stakeholders, including the Minister’s and Commissioner’s Office on a wide range of issues affecting the department in a professional and positive manner.
- Maintain a secure filing system and computer-based register with respect to all relevant government and ministerial documentation in accordance with departmental protocols and the Governing Queensland suite of handbooks.
To determine your suitability for the role, you will be assessed on the following Leadership Competencies for Queensland behavioural profiles that link to the “key accountabilities” for this role:
Leadership Competency Stream – Individual Contributor (leading self)
- Leads strategically
- Makes insightful decisions
- Builds enduring relationships
- Drives accountability and outcomes
- Fosters healthy and inclusive workplaces
- Demonstrates sound governance
Once you join us we will want you to exemplify the QFES shared values of:
Want more information?
Please contact Chris Plata, A/CLLO on phone 07 3635 2570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit our website to find out more about our organisation.
How to apply
Please refer to the QFES Public Service Application Guide [All PS Classifications/Streams and Senior Officer] for information on how to apply for this role.