System Safety Engineer
Job Type: Full time
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
From take-off to landing, Thales offers the most complete range of solutions to provide dynamic air traffic control to support today's growing domestic and international travel requirements.
Utilising this knowledge and experience Thales Australia will deliver a harmonised Civil/Military Air Traffic Management System (CMATS) known as OneSKY, in Australia to Airservices Australia and Defence. This will enable a new level of safety and efficiency, while also reducing delays for the travelling public and providing opportunities to improve environmental outcomes. OneSKY will transform Australia’s sky and we are proud to be partners in its delivery.
Working within a talented and highly collaborative team, this is an opportunity to work on a completely greenfield product, the first in the world and something that will redefine our skies from a safety, efficiency and environmental impact.
About the role:
The System Safety Engineer is critical position within the OneSKY program where you will be responsible for performing safety studies and allocated analysis during the program lifecycle as well as analysing customer requirements related to safety while also contributing to the bid phase of the project.
This position works within a highly collaborative global team, reporting to the Safety Head of Discipline.
At hand is an opportunity to work on a once in a lifetime greenfield project, turning our skies into a safer and more efficient place to fly!
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- To perform / participate to the initial engineering safety assessment of the Thales equipment during the bid phase and participate to the redaction of the proposal
- To perform / participate to the engineering safety studies of the Thales equipment in the context of different business lines/units in coordination with different departments (system engineering and software engineering, hardware engineering, logistic) and produce the safety case report of system or product.
- To conducting Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Preliminary System Safety Assessments (PSSA, including FTA) and System Safety Assessments (SSA) commensurate with the processes, standards and best practices employed by Air Traffic Management domain
- To develop Safety argument in a Safety Case Report
- To assess partners & sub-contractor’s safety case report and documentation from a Safety point of view and ensure design is assessed and risk are appropriately recorded, mitigated and aligned amongst all stakeholders
Ideally you will possess:
- Experience on safety domain and/or system engineering (incl. V-Cycle)
- Have experience in working with strict safety standards and methodologies within a safety critical sector
- Good analysis skills (overview, capacity of synthesis, relational)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent IT skills (MS Office, DOORS…)
- Knowledge of Air Traffic Management domain
- Knowledge of Software Development Guidelines, ED-153, DO-278A, ED-109A, DO-178B/C
- Experience in project management
- Knowledge of international standards of the safety domain: Safety Assessment Methodology EUROCONTROL, ARP4761, MIL-STD-882E or other similar
Thales is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect that enables all of us to feel valued, do our best, and remain truly passionate about the place that we work. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more on how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://work180.com/en-AU/for-women/employer/thales.
Wellbeing matters at Thales, and where possible we encourage flexible working.