Domain Head of Discipline - Systems and Hardware Engineering
Location: Melbourne, Rydalmere
Job Type: Full time
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
The Domain Head of Discipline – Systems, Hardware Engineering is a key leadership role within the Vehicle and Tactical Systems (VTS) Technical and Engineering function within Australia. The function provides engineering capability support to Business Segments within the VTS-AUS Domain as well as other customers.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the DOMAIN HEAD OF DISCIPLINE – SYSTEMS, HARDWARE ENGINEERING, you are accountable for:
- Line Management of the engineering capability team within capability perimeter
- Ensure professional development, training and coaching/mentoring of capability team members
- Ensure integrated project working across capability and delivery perimeters
- Gather data and report key KPIs for capability development activities within capability perimeter
- Actively facilitate routes of resolution for capability issues to the satisfaction of key stakeholders
- Collaborate with Heads of Engineering Delivery to provide the appropriate capability for all technical and engineering delivery activities
- Development, maintain and manage engineering capability within perimeter in terms of the following components of capability
- Maintain engineering capability dashboard within capability perimeter
- Maintain effective knowledge management practices within capability perimeter and in coherence with the technical and engineering function
- Ensure the identification and adoption of new technologies within bids, projects and products
- Support the execution of agreed continuous improvement activities in collaboration with the Heads of Engineering Delivery
- Support Head of Engineering Operations in workforce planning and ensure Job Family data is accurate and used effectively
- Collaborate with Heads of Engineering Delivery to provide SME’s to conduct technical peer review of bids, projects and products
- Share lessons learned with the other Head of Discipline positions and the wider VTS-AUS Technical and Engineering leadership team
- Ensure that engineering capabilities are planned and conducted in accordance with the approved MTB strategy
- Ensure that engineering activities and reviews include all the disciplines necessary to ensure solution safety, solution security, design to cost, design for manufacture, acceptance and service
- Leading and/or facilitating governance and compliance activities across delivery perimeter such as TIMS Assessments, Process Reviews (DDQS, R&T etc), Engineering Fundamentals development etc.
- Exercising Technical and Engineering Authority if delegated and mutually agreed
KEY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
To be successful in your role, you will have demonstrated and/or acquired the following knowledge and experience:
- Bachelor of Engineering Degree or equivalent.
- Recognised as a Chartered Engineer (CPEng) by Engineers Australia or demonstrated engineering competencies required to attain CPEng.
- Eligible for Australian State engineering registration and the National Engineering Register
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Line Management of engineering teams.
Thales is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect that enables all of us to feel valued, do our best, and remain truly passionate about the place that we work. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more on how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://work180.com/en-AU/for-women/employer/thales.
Wellbeing matters at Thales, and where possible we encourage flexible working.