Country Risk Reporting – Analyst / Associate
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Country Risk Reporting is responsible for providing risk data and analysis to Country Risk Management and Senior Management. The team is responsible for reporting risk exposures across market, credit, country and legal entity risk to facilitate a clear understanding and timely management of risk across the firm.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This role is part of Country Risk Reporting. There is a heavy analytical nature to this role which requires the ability to have a conceptual conversation with the business and turn that into a high quality end-product with appropriate analytical commentary. The right candidate must understand and challenge the numbers, and be able to tell the story behind them. Additionally, the candidate needs to understand data flows, investigate and remediate data issues between upstream source systems and the Country Risk Infrastructure.
The role entails the collection, aggregation and analysis of data to produce Country Reports which are used by Senior Risk Management to monitor the firm’s overall risk to selected countries. Topics covered within the job profile include derivative, loans and commitments, issuer positions, internal country ratings, new business initiatives, country strategy papers, exposure and stress against Country Limits, and other risk analyses. The right candidate must have an understanding of either market risk or credit risk concepts and must be able to understand and explain complex stress calculations and the theory behind them.
The team interacts heavily with the Country Risk Management, Credit Risk Management, various Middle Offices, Credit and Market Risk Reporting, Risk F&BM, Investor Relations and Technology.
There is a critical need to focus on ensuring that the risk reporting is comprehensive, useable, and accurate so that all levels of risk management can use it to understand and manage the business in a timely and effective manner.
Specific responsibilities/deliverables include:
- Weekly country reporting to Senior Management
- Participate or lead in the collection, aggregation, and analysis of information related to Country Risk for EMEA/APAC/SSA/CEE & MENA regions; providing unique insights to Country Risk Management at regular meetings.
- Ensure accuracy of exposure and stress data and associated comparative commentaries
- Provide insights into weekly FSI stress results, competent in explaining stress calculations and factors driving changes to stress levels.
- Impact change through methodology and process assessments and bring to fruition through collaboration with business partners Market Risk, Credit Risk, Trading, Product control, Middle Office, technology and senior management.
- Crisis Monitoring
- Assist in ad-hoc data collection and review of information for countries requiring increased scrutiny. Provide input or present findings to senior management.
- Contribute to the improvement and automation of the Country Risk reporting process
- Participate in continuing development of new exposure/stress management tool.
- Contribute to Project Management and Operating Model working groups
- Strong innovator always challenging processes and seeking efficiencies.
- Provide input and participate in various working groups to ensure appropriate capture of data, enhance data aggregation processes and reporting & control procedures.
- Data Quality assessment & review
- Partner Country Risk Middle Office/Senior Risk Management/Cross functional teams to proactively identify and analyze issues.
- Strong control mindset who can influence change and proactively address problems in advance of risk reporting.
The ideal candidate possesses the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Accounting, Finance, Business or related area
- Solid understanding of financial products; cross asset knowledge, prior experience in a Risk & PnL or Controls background
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail including a strong control focus
- Knowledge and/or experience of credit risk and/or market risk principles
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize multiple tasks, lead initiatives and bring tasks to complete closure
- Basic Microsoft Office & strong Excel skills are required; working knowledge of data science (e.g. Machine learning), analytics platform (e.g. Alteryx) and data visualization tool (e.g. Tableau) will be advantageous
- Experience with both process building and process re-engineering
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; verbal, written and presentation. An ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Self-motivated and comfortable working with large amounts of data
- A self-starter who is organized and consistently meets deliverables
- Good team player who can work well with colleagues of various levels, across multiple locations.
- Implement robust controls and new business initiatives
- Experience with risk systems desirable; iCRD, MaRRS, Athena & Risk Central