Technical Principal - Rail Bridges
Location: Greater Manchester
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald are seeking experienced Bridge Engineers to join our Rail Bridges discipline. We are seeking a high calibre, Chartered Civil Engineer to grow our established team and support the delivery of prestigious railway projects across the North West of England Mott MacDonald is a uniquely diverse employee-owned and managed engineering and development consultancy serving the public & private sector around the world. Our ownership model enables us to develop and drive a unique culture of innovation, high performance and personal development - our investment in individuals cannot be rivalled. We have technical expertise across 12 core sectors supported by skills encompassing infrastructure finance, project and programme management and management consultancy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
This role is working in a fast-growing team that delivers a wide range of Rail Bridge and Civil Schemes. The team prides itself in utilising long established relationships with clients and contractors to successfully deliver the most challenging briefs with innovative engineering solutions.
Location is flexible with MM offices available UK wide and the opportunity to incorporate an element of home working. The centre of gravity of the current Rail Bridges capability is in Manchester/Altrincham, so reasonable proximity for occasional visits is preferred.
- Lead teams in the delivery of high- profile enhancement schemes, bridge renewals and strengthening;
- Innovative concept design and detailed design of all aspects of railway infrastructure, with a focus on rail bridges;
- Appointment as Contractors Responsible Engineer and CEM;
- Mentoring, educating and inspiring our high performing graduates;
- Develop links with local universities;
- Engagement and support to the wider Mott MacDonald Bridges and Civil Engineering Practice;
- Undertake Peer Reviews of designs in support of our ongoing drive for Technical Excellence.
Required for the position of Technical Principal;
- Extensive experience and the ability to guide and support more junior team members in the design and detailing of bridge structures and other ancillary Civils infrastructure;
- Ability to guide and support more junior team members in the numerical and analytical aspects of the design, including non-linear FE analysis, dynamics etc;
- BEng/MEng Civil Engineering or comparative equivalent;
- Chartered Member of a relevant professional institution (ICE or IStructE);
- Demonstrable experience in the commercial management of projects;
- Extensive track record of leading teams in the delivery of detailed bridge designs in a D&B market;
- Track record of leading teams in the delivery of F001/2/3 submissions, Assessment Reports and other key deliverables;
- Demonstrable track record of managing quality through checking, peer reviews and day to day mentoring of staff;
- Knowledge of Rail Group and Company Standards, in particular engineering assurance;
- Advanced knowledge of Bridge design, analysis and remedial work, including FE analysis (including non-linear and dynamics), grillage analysis and associated software;
- Extensive experience in the design of steel and RC Concrete;
- Extensive knowledge of CDM and CSM;
- Established relationship with Network Rail PEs and DPEs;
- Established relationship with Network Rail approved contractors.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at [email protected] and we will talk to you about how we can assist.