Lead Design Technologist, Design Ops
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Atlassian is growing faster than ever and has an opportunity for a Design Technologist to join our design operations team, Design Hub. The Design Hub team is a cross-disciplinary design operations team focused on enabling more effective designers and a more efficient Experience Design org. We own the operationalizing, optimizing, and scaling of design by designing practices, systems, and tools that drive operational and craft excellence.
Reporting to the Head of Design Ops, this person will contribute to critical CX initiatives for the Design Hub team, focused on developing tooling that help bring efficiencies to design activities as well as enable the effectiveness and value of Atlassian designers and design teams at scale.
Does this sound fun to you? You might just be the person we're looking for.
In this role, you will:
- Own, augment, and build the tools our designers use—we're not afraid to build new tools, dogfood our own products, or explore the newest technologies to make our work better and more collaborative.
- Work to make designers’ lives simpler, more efficient, and more productive by building custom tooling and apps, developing instrumented quality scorecards, and identifying opportunities for innovation and efficiency improvements.
- Work with Design Hub teammates to better understand what gaps exist in internal process, knowledge, or tooling across our design teams
- Build tools that make prototyping within the Experience Design organization easier and more tightly
To be successful in this role, you…
- …have a high bar and an eye for good design—you care about the details, love working with designs and designers, and are unafraid to contribute constructive, thoughtful feedback on work.
- …are organized, proactive, and thrive in the details–even as you work in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment. You think strategically, recognize the importance of long-term goals, have vision, and are committed to success.
- …are an excellent communicator who knows how to connect with people all over the globe at various levels of seniority, and you're comfortable calling "BS" if you see it - even with execs.
- …seek out opportunities to improve and optimize - constantly searching for new knowledge (and new ideas!) and you’re willing to learn and try better ways of working.
- …are a systems thinker who always has a line of sight to the big picture. You’re constantly seeking to connect the dots and solve for root problems, not just immediate symptoms.
In terms of experience, this means:
- 5+ years of experience as a Design Technologist, UX Developer, or similar role.
- Deep knowledge of a wide range of front-end programming “dialects” for web and mobile experiences (Angular, Flutter, React, ReactNative, or similar frameworks, to name a few)
- You are comfortable leading programs of work, managing stakeholder expectations and dependencies.
- A portfolio of professional creative work that demonstrates intuitive front end user interfaces
A portfolio of work that demonstrates experience/expertise in one or more of the following:
- Supporting implementation of a Design (Language) System for a multi-product portfolio.
- Prototyping in Figma and/or Proto.io
- Multi-platform UI testing systems (BrowserStack, HeadSpin, etc.)
- Designing/coding for Accessibility (WCAG 2.1)
- Designing/coding for multiple languages and locales (i18n/l10n standards)
- Analytics tools (e.g., Firebase Analytics, Pendo, Google Optimize, etc.)
- CI/CD tooling and processes (e.g., BItbucket Pipelines, Gitlab).
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!