Director of Public Policy (US/EU)
Location: Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Are you interested in the rapidly evolving policy and regulatory landscape around technology? Are you excited by the challenge of engaging with policy-makers, regulators and legislators on complex issues and representing the interests of a fast-growing global technology company? If so, let's talk!
We are looking for a Director of Public Policy to join our Global Public Policy & Regulatory Affairs team, which resides within the Atlassian Legal team. We're seeking an experienced public policy and government relations professional with a strong understanding of regulatory and policy processes to represent Atlassian, particularly in our engagement with US and European governments on matters of technology regulation.
The right candidate will monitor legislative and regulatory developments within governments, build relationships with lawmakers, policymakers and regulators and develop a pro-active engagement strategy in support of our public policy and regulatory affairs goals.
In this role, you'll get to:
- Build out Atlassian's approach to engagement with US and European lawmakers and governments, in all pillars of our public policy program, but particularly in the tech regulation space.
- Identify and hire key consultants in pursuit of effective policy engagements.
- Monitor key developments in tech regulation and policy across US/EU jurisdictions.
- Keep our internal stakeholders across important developments and initiate internal projects, as needed, to align on and prepare for upcoming regulatory changes.
- Work with our industry associations to coordinate on external policy engagement strategy.
- Work with the overall Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs team to ensure our engagement is effective and substantive through detailed analysis and careful consideration of emerging regulatory and legislative proposals.
- Develop close working relationships with teams across Atlassian that have a strong interest in emerging regulatory and policy proposals including sustainability, risk and compliance, privacy and security.
- Advise senior leaders of the implications of emerging technology policy and regulatory proposals.
- Lead the development of responses to consultative or investigative processes on behalf of Atlassian, including responses to inquiries or calls for submissions from legislative bodies or government regulators.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Minimum 10+ years of public policy and/or government affairs experience, with some in-house experience preferred.
- High sense of self-motivation and ability to act autonomously, with good judgment.
- High intellectual agility and willingness to dig into new areas with no prior experience.
- Proven experience with direct lobbying and ability to conceive and execute policy campaigns with the help of external consultants.
- Strong familiarity with emerging technology public policy trends in the areas of cybersecurity, privacy, antitrust/competition and law enforcement access.
- Experience in drafting responses to policy and legislative processes.
- The ability to work with other industry representatives to build coalitions.
- A keen understanding of dynamics within the U.S. Government and Congress; and the operation of the European Union (Parliament, Council and Commission).
- The ability to articulate complex regulatory and policy matters into easily understood language.
- The power to drive strategic and tactical objectives, and the aptitude to shift between both on the fly.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment and handle contending priorities.
It would also be great if you have:
- Prior in-house experience working at a technology company, in particular, a SaaS and/or enterprise software company.
- Expertise with the issues surrounding customer data and trust that are implicated in a shift to the Cloud.
- Location in Washington, D.C.
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $202,500 - $270,000
Zone B: $182,300 - $243,000
Zone C: $168,100 - $224,100
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefitsto learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.
You’ve got this!