Software Engineer - Herndon, VA
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Aclara’s Grid Monitoring platform utilities can detect faults with real-time information and continuously monitor power quality across all three phases of their medium voltage distribution network. With this actionable data, utilities can boost the reliability, efficiency and power quality across their distribution system. Aclara is helping utilities solve the real-world challenges and improve the reliability of the distribution grid. by provide fault information to quickly dispatch crews and monitor load or getting accurate measurements to improve efficiency.
Responsible for the development, design, test, maintenance, and enhancement of Aclara’s Sensor Management System (SMS) for their Aclara Grid Monitoring (AGM) Platform for monitoring the distribution grid. The position will actively contribute in all facets of the software development life cycle as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary coding and development for a minimum of 75% of time.
- Mentor junior developers and provide them with technical oversight.
- Work with peer technical leaders to ensure the product architecture is cohesive and adhering to required functional and non-functional requirements like performance, scalability and security.
- Author and review artifacts from all phases – use cases, estimates, high-level designs, low-level designs, code, test cases – to make sure they meet requirements.
- Perform gap analysis on current solutions to determine areas of improvement as needed.
- Lead by example and ensure development standards and processes are followed across team.
- Identify complex issues in a timely manner and provide mitigation recommendations.
- Communicate as needed with Project Managers, other engineers, Product Owners, and Product Managers to communicate architectural vision for the product.
- In addition to writing code to accomplish stories assigned to you, you will assume software quality responsibility collaboration with quality engineers assigned to your team.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree or at least 5 + years of software development experience and a Bachelor’s degree. Experience and/or degree must be directly relevant to Computer Science, Engineering or related technical discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in full stack development.
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Proficient in Java, with a good knowledge of its ecosystems.
- Experience with unit testing and related frameworks such as JUnit.
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environments.
- Knowledge of Web APIs based Web Service development.
- Experience with Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), Event driven Architecture and Microservices.
- Experience with popular application frameworks (such as Spring, Hibernate).
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, JDBC, and RESTful.
- Familiarity with GUI Frameworks (such as Icefaces).
- Knowledge of concurrency patterns in Java.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases (MySQL, MongoDB).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work on software with intermediate to advanced complexity.
- Possesses a high degree of accountability.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.