Engineering Technician - Aiken, SC
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Job Type: Not Specified
Fabricate samples and conduct testing for metal oxide varistor (MOV) and/or surge arrester product lines.
A Day In The Life
Perform all duties while maintaining proper safety and chemical hygiene standards
- Conduct laboratory experiments including:
- Sampling, weighing, and mixing of powders and slurries
- Fabricating test samples using manual, automatic or semi-automatic equipment.
- Grinding, slicing, and polishing
- Loading and unloading high temperature processing equipment
- Performing visual inspection with unaided eye or using microscope
- Performing low and high voltage electrical testing
- Data tabulation, consolidation, and review
Maintain laboratory facilities
- Cleaning and housekeeping
- Mechanical assembly / disassembly of equipment as needed
- Occasional troubleshooting and minor repairs of lab equipment
Processing of product samples
- Operate any production equipment with Arresters / Dept. 18 as needed, with proper training
- Coordinate shipment of samples to external testing facilities
- Disassemble / tear down samples to determine causes of product failure
- Provide assistance when implementing product design changes
Any other duties as assigned
What will help you thrive in this role?
- Experience with laboratory procedures (safety, handling of chemicals/samples, etc.)
- Mechanical aptitude and experience with equipment or machinery; ability to assemble, dis-assemble, and troubleshoot equipment; ability to read technical drawings or blueprints.
- Basic knowledge in math, chemistry, physics, and electrical circuits.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- 2 years relevant work experience in a laboratory or technical environment.
- Ability for occasional heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs) and ability to perform close visual inspection of laboratory samples.
Hubbell creates critical infrastructure solutions that power our customers, communities, people and the planet. Our company is strategically aligned around enabling grid modernization and electrification. As more products plug in to an aging grid, Hubbell solutions enable the transition to a more reliable, resilient and efficient energy infrastructure. Founded in 1888 our innovation has made us a leading global manufacturer of high quality electrical and utility solutions enabling customers to operate critical infrastructure reliably and efficiently.
The company operates in two segments. Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) enable the grid to conduct, communicate and control energy across utility applications and Hubbell Electrical Solutions (HES) are essential to managing power across a wide range of industries and applications. Our vertical market solutions can be applied to markets including Data Centers, Renewables, Commercial Buildings, Industrial, Telecom and Transportation. Supporting both of our business segments is our corporate and Hubbell Unified Business Solutions teams that provide consistent process, tools technologies across our businesses.
We are committed to operating sustainably and ethically while promoting an inclusive and supportive culture for our people to grow and develop in their careers. Our employees proudly work and serve our communities from our headquarters in Shelton, CT, across the United States and around the globe.
Hubbell Utility Solutions
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) enable the grid to conduct, communicate and control energy across utility applications. HUS provides the critical components that allow the grid to reliably transmit and distribute energy, as well as the communications and controls technologies to make the grid smarter and more flexible.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.