Global Client Technology Director-Consumer Goods
Location: Chicago, Illinois, New York, New York, St. Louis, Missouri
Job Type: Full time
Businesses expect technology to be the main enabler of innovation - to deliver on their business priorities and goals. The Client Technology Director inspires and ideates with customers the possibilities technology provides to them, drives thought leadership in digital transformation and builds strategic partnerships with C- level technology and innovation executives.
The Strategic CTL is the leader responsible for designing the strategy and architecture to drive digitalization and innovation agenda for one of our most important customers active in the Consumer Goods industry.
The CTL acts as the Innovation and DT Thought Leader. With deep industry knowledge, broad technology skills and unparalleled business acumen; S-CTL starts with Innovation/ DT agenda of our customers, connects industry/business priorities to technology strategy and develops value propositions which align with our customer’s business strategies, leveraging the rich portfolio of Microsoft and its partner ecosystem.
Customer and Industry Insights
- Acts as a thought leader for synthesizing and combining various and often conflicting business and industry insights across all teams and business units, global best practices, proof points from experience across multiple countries and regions, and broad and deep industry expertise (e.g., level 300) related to customers and their competitors to conduct forecasting and develop recommendations for managing the most prominent, high-impact, and/or challenging customer accounts. Orchestrates global teams across the organization to gather and utilize information on the customer. Leverages professional credibility, relationships, and personal experience with similar customers to anticipate and bring in business and industry insights that address the broader business challenges for the customer. Sets the overall business and technical strategy and determines which opportunities should be pursued.
- Applies deep expertise and thought leadership to identify the right industry priority solutions (IPSs) and industry partners within the customer's vertical industry. Articulates and understands global industry-related market trends, as well as customer threats, opportunities, and barriers to growth as they relate to the customer's broader industry. Receives internal and external credibility as a thought leader within their specialized industry. Leads partnerships with customer and/or partners to provide innovative solutions in new industries, and to integrate Microsoft technology in their business..
- Leverages their subject matter expertise in Microsoft's product landscape, solutions, and strategy to address customer's needs. Partners with internal industry experts (e.g., with industry-solutions executives) to strengthen understanding of the industry. Leverages a deep understanding of their customers to drive and create deep impact, share knowledge with virtual team, and promote customer business perspectives.
- Acts as the voice of the customer and internal advocate by providing insights, feedback, and challenges from the customer to internal teams (e.g., product groups, engineers) across all levels of the organization. Drives action to ensure that internal teams understand and respond to insights. Escalates pressing issues for customers to Microsoft internal stakeholders (e.g., Headquarters) to facilitate the appropriate solutions and capabilities for the customer.
Technology Strategy Formulation
- Expands Microsoft relationships with large, complex, and/or global customers into strategic partnerships, and leads the adoption of technologies by plotting the strategic, long-term vision of the customer's/partner's business strategy, and drives action to bring to fruition. May lead others to provide analyses and architect solutions for a sector or industry. Holds accountability as a strategic link between Microsoft and the customer for identifying a pathway for strategic efforts and resources necessary for building a strategy.
- Contributes to the creation of trusted, long-term (e.g., three years plus) technical and business roadmaps for a strategic account with global and high-stakes impact for the business, based on a deep understanding of business and technology priorities and the customer's industry landscape. Drives envisioning and articulates business and program changes in the roadmaps around new and groundbreaking capabilities for highly complex technologies. Orchestrates the translation of the customer's business objectives in conjunction with industry priority scenarios (ISPs), sales plays, and solution areas (including heavy workloads and cloud services) to develop highly effective Industry Technology Architecture that drives consumption and adoption of Microsoft cloud and a higher share of customer potential and propensity (CPP).
Technology Sales: Demand Generation and Orchestrtion
- Develops and drives opportunities based on industry best practices. Presents opportunities to the customer, and creates demand. Develops a plan, within a broader strategy, to identify and qualify a set number of opportunities for product sales, solutions sales, or consumption. Leverages multiple channels (e.g., social media) to create demand. Oversees technical teams for driving opportunities including solution technology units (STUs), customer success units (CSUs), and others as necessary. Leads efforts to reach out to key stakeholders to give customer-driven pitches and drives the appropriate customer reach together with the account executive to generate new demands.
- Lead industry and digital transformation acceleration (IDTA) with the account team, customer, and partner. Delivers customer outcomes through joint envisioning, as a vehicle for industry priority scenarios (ISPs), sales plays, and solution areas. Increases the number of successful engagements over time, managing engagement pipeline with extended team to maintain velocity, and unblocking issues. Defines, coaches, and directs the solution pipeline strategy for a subsidiary in partnership with the Sales Team, and works with subsidiary leadership to close any gaps. Defines the blueprint for opportunity initiation, and sets and shares standards and best practices for others to follow.
Differentiated Value Proposition
- Acts as the "virtual Chief Technical Officer (CTO)/Chief Digital Officer (CDO)" or "go-to" person in established, long-term relationships with technical decision makers (TDMs) and/or business decision makers (BDMs) at the Chief X Officer (CXO)-level. Leverages professional credibility to create extended relationships beyond core customers, advise on solutions, and position Microsoft capabilities to best meet the customer's needs. Orchestrates high-impact innovative solutions (e.g., forward-thinking, flagship) that enable customer business transformations through digital transformation for assigned accounts and drives outcomes that create business value for customers. Owns the development of strategies that showcase the value added by innovative ideas grounded on digital transformation for accounts based on account needs and customer's expectations. Is sought out by the customer for guidance related to transformation. Ensures high-profile line-of-business wins are captured (e.g., press release, video) as reference for multi-region/worldwide scale. Deploys showcase solutions into customer digital transformation centers for broader distribution. Leads efforts to host workshops that draw a viable picture for customer transformations post-transformation, and adapts digital transformation efforts to fit customer positioning within their partnership with Microsoft and at their needed level or platform.
- Partners with a line-of-business leader or senior executive within a large-scale or high-impact customer organization to articulate how complex Microsoft technology/services will meet future business needs better than the competition and will enable the achievement of long-term growth and success.).
Mapping and Account Planning
- Contributes to the creation of stakeholder maps for accounts, determines and orchestrates a coverage plan, and builds out an execution framework.
- Orchestrates technical resources across teams and partner ecosystem (inclusive of global systems integrators and consultancy partners), and ensures that adequate services and partner capacity are available, or are developed within a subsidiary to implement the solution pipeline strategy.
- Establishes best practices and standards around account planning and review for aligning with quota attainment, consumption goals, and customer consumption gaps to inform quarterly and fiscal objectives. Coordinates highly complex extended account teams (e.g., spanning complex technologies, geographies, functions) and drives forecasting and tracking of the business. Owns the technical portion of the account plans and leads the account plan delivery for large, critical, and/or strategic accounts. Provides Account thought leadership inclusive of information technology (IT), industry, and business strategy knowledge, and shares best practices internally while providing coaching to subsidiary resources. Leverages account thought leadership in partnership with account executives to set strategy, own accountability for outcomes, and lead extended teams.
Education and Thought Leadership
- Drives customer technology engagement by motivating and inspiring technical resources of customer, partner, and Microsoft towards customer’s digital transformation (DT). Delivers regular (e.g., quarterly or monthly) industry/technology engagements and/or briefings to customer Chief X Officers (CXOs), their technical team, and business decision makers (BDMs) to drive execution and focus on competitive advantage.
- Provides thought leadership and guidance across teams, business units, executive stakeholders, customers, and the broader community on enablement plans to build and educate large and high-stakes customers at the global level. Allocates resources, manages budget, and provides guidance and final authority for decisions to their immediate team as well as other teams and customers on creating and implementing the enablement plan build practices. Drives team to contribute to innovations that help customers meet capacity and capability goals, including skilling initiatives and execution along with the account executive (AE) and enterprise skilling initiative (ESI) teams.
Key Capabilities Required:
- Digital Transformation & Innovation Strategy: With deep industry/business experience, broad technology knowledge and design thinking skills, ideation of a clear 3 Horizon plan across acceleration, innovation and market-making with and for our customers on their digital agenda.
- Technology Thought Leadership: Partner with senior executives within customer organization to articulate how Microsoft technology/services will drive their future business needs & priorities and will enable the achievement of long-term growth and success.
- Industry & Business Architecture: Dissect the industry and business priorities of customers, determine which Microsoft and partner technologies to leverage in customer’s future state architecture and design an integrated offering that address business priorities.
- Technology Sales Leadership: Lead and orchestrate Technology Sales in Industry Priority Scenarios, Industry Cloud, Cross-Solution Area opportunities and prioritized strategic sales plays to bring the best of Microsoft to customers and to drive highest value.
- Account Leadership: Drive Account thought leadership with deep knowledge of customer's technology, industry, and business strategy and their DT roadmap by setting account strategy, owning accountability, and leading extended teams to drive customer business needs & outcomes.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business or related field AND 5+ years technical consulting, technical consultative selling, practice building, or related technical/sales/industry experience
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business, or related field AND 16+ years technical consulting, technical consultative selling, practice building, or related technical/sales/industry experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- 7+ years experience in digital transformation or using technology to drive customer business outcomes.
- 6+ years experience in business consulting, consultative selling, or change management.
- 5+ years experience leading global technical, support, and/or partner teams.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.