Datacenter Principal Telecom Engineer - AMER
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Dallas, Texas, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Houston, Texas, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The successful candidate will be able to provide technical oversight and direction of physical network upgrade project design requirements effectively and efficiently. Additionally, they will work with a variety of partners on technical standards and processes to successfully deliver requirements as assigned while leading design workgroups and drive cross-functional meetings for multiple, concurrent capital projects.
This individual will be tasked to manage issues, decisions and risks, drive initiatives to improve the efficiency and quality to scale with the growth of Microsoft. As a critical thinker, the successful candidate will develop SOWs and design documents, then review and critically evaluate bids and options for physical telecommunication infrastructure and optical cabling including both ISP / SCS and OSP; and be able to evaluate operational impacts, deployment, and implementation challenges associated with design implementation for both Microsoft Owned facilities and Lease sites; technical lead on telecommunication requirements and physical telecommunication master planning impacts for special, non-conforming projects, retrofits, refreshes, and other duties as assigned.
- Provide technical support on physical network refresh and rebuilds including cable plant, pathways, and translating telecommunication requirements to other disciplines.
- Address existing condition investigations, communicate risk to relevant partners, and create telecommunication scope of work to retrofit existing facilities to latest Microsoft standards.
- Collaboration with internal and external customers and partners including Global Technical Governance team, Global Strategy teams and DCE Operations Team to utilize Base of Design documentation to create and/or oversee the creation of the datacenter telecommunication designs from Basis of Design (BOD) to Issue for Constructions (IFC) and through the Construction Administration phase of the datacenter until handover for new DC project build-outs, leases, special projects and / or network upgrades with a focus on facility telecommunications.
- Partner directly with cross organizational teams such as engineering design teams, delivery teams, operations teams, contractors and suppliers.
- Provide guidance to staff augmentation A/Es and consultant A/Es.
- 10+ years' experience in telecommunications infrastructure such as, copper, cable plants, and fiber optics.
- 8+ years of large-scale facility networking infrastructure projects within datacenters or other comparable experience (healthcare, enterprise, large retail, critical environments, healthcare, government etc).
- Knowledge of industry standards, building codes and safety standards including BICSI Standards, TDMM, RUS Standards, ANSI/IEEE/IEC, NFPA, NEC, and building codes.
- Technical understanding of mission critical environments and the associated telecommunications facility considerations.
- Ability to lead multiple projects of varying timelines while managing project expectations.
- Detailed understanding for structured cabling components.
- Familiarity with high-level construction administration.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as project or team manager.
- Prior experience with Bluebeam
- Experience using MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel including effective reporting/presentations of project information.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology or 15 years in Telecommunications experience
- Professional Engineer or equivalent per county of residence
- BICSI RCDD or DCDC certified
- Familiarity with ground-up construction, greenfield and brownfield site development requirements.
- Action-oriented with a passion for getting things done quickly, efficiently, and effectively.
- Ability to balance varying responsibilities that span rhythm of business, communications, executive management, and culture.
- Prior experience with Visio.
- Experience with CAD programs such as AutoCAD and Revit.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.