Principal Software Engineer, Security
Location: Remote -
Job Type: Full time
Imagine what we could do together!
Okta Engineering Security team is looking for an experienced and passionate software security engineer to join a team focused on designing and developing Security solutions to harden our frameworks & infrastructure. We embrace innovation and pave the way to transform bright ideas into excellent security software solutions that help run large-scale, mission-critical software. We encourage you to prescribe defense-in-depth measures, industry security standards, enforce the principle of least privilege to help take our Security posture to the next level. Our Security engineering team has a niche skill-set that combines Security domain expertise with the ability to design, implement, and rollout security features and functionalities without adding friction to product functionality or performance. We are responsible for the ever-growing need to improve our customer safety and privacy by providing security services that are coupled with the core Okta product.
This is a high-impact role in a security-centric, fast-paced organization that is poised for massive growth and success. You will act as a liaison between the Security org and the engineering org to build technical leverage and influence the security roadmap and direction. You will focus on engineering security and privacy aspects of the systems used across our services while working on a weekly release cadence. You will be empowered to propose stimulating new projects for our roadmap and rewarded with projects using emerging technologies. Join us and be part of a company that is about to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
Bring all the passion and dedication along and there’s no telling what you could accomplish!
Preferred qualification and abilities:
- 8+ years of development experience in designing and implementing software systems in Java, building highly reliable and mission-critical software.
- 5+ years of work experience in designing and implementing security solutions for applications and distributed systems.
- Development work experience and excellent understanding in mitigating OWASP Top 10 attacks on applications, cryptography, key management, PKI, TLS/SSL, DDoS mitigation, authentication, authorization & application security.
- Strong understanding of secure engineering concepts such as secure coding practices and secure code reviews and the ability to identify, mitigate and prevent threat vectors.
- Excellent grasp of software engineering principles.
- Liaison between the engineering and security org to develop innovative requirements for the security roadmap.
- Own the frameworks and translate requirements into design and implementation steps.
- Research, design and implement security-oriented frameworks and features with the common goal of protecting Okta’s customers.
- Lead software development while building technical leverage and influencing the direction of architecture, design, and roadmap.
- Routinely participate in cross-vertical code reviews with an emphasis on Security.
- Break down complex problems into sub-tasks & iteratively contribute to the goal of the security initiatives using agile practices.
- Coach and mentor junior engineers in the team.
Education: B.S or M.S in Computer Science or related fields
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $178,000 /year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.