Staff (Lead) Product Data Scientist (Multiple Roles)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
As a Product Analytics professional, you'll be tasked with transforming raw data into actionable insights that will help guide the development and improvement of our products. This role isn't for the faint-hearted or those seeking a conventional corporate structure - we operate on the principles of low process, high trust, and high impact. It's all about getting things done quickly and efficiently, while continuously learning and adapting to changes in a dynamic environment.
Our product is designed to empower entrepreneurs and stimulate personal growth. Consequently, the work you do will not only create value for our users but also contribute to global entrepreneurship. To thrive here, you need to be dedicated to your craft and committed to constant development. You should be an independent thinker who can solve complex problems and handle a bit of chaos without breaking a sweat.
As a Staff Data Scientist, you will partner with Product, Engineering, UX, and other disciplines to lead through data and achieve product/business goals. Product Data Scientists are expected to:
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains and business areas.
- Partner closely with product, engineering and other business leaders to influence high level strategy, product development, and program decisions with data
- Holistically own general problems across product/business domains and drive the right outcomes for all of Shopify.
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products that are effective for their purpose and model excellence for the entire organization.
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when appropriate) to directly drive substantial improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders, especially data engineering, to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes.
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions and to nurture a culture of using data effectively company-wide.
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams across Shopify.
There are many different teams looking for Product Data Scientists to partner with and help drive value for our merchants. These include:
Buyer Trust/Shop Promise Data Science
Our Shop Promise product helps merchants build trust with buyers by guaranteeing fast and reliable deliveries, setting clear delivery date expectations and coaching merchants to improve delivery habits. This is a strategic priority for Shopify to improve merchant success and buyer experiences. Our data science team owns the machine learning data products that powers Shop Promise and is responsible for partnering with product, engineering and UX teams to develop product strategy and roadmap to maximize the impact of Shop Promise.
Checkout & Storefront
The Core Product Data Science team combines leading-edge analytical techniques with strong business & product acumen in order to drive better decisions and outcomes for Shopify’s merchants. Data Scientists turn data into actionable insights through a number of analytical methods, such as A/B tests, In-depth studies, advanced modeling, data visualizations, etc. to shape and support our product development strategies.
The Commercial/Revenue Analytics team provides data insights to help our revenue leadership team with understanding business performance through data, support key business decisions, and advise on business operational improvement opportunities. As a Staff Product Data Scientist, you’ll help advance the data maturity of the team to move from descriptive analytics into predictive/prescriptive analytics so we can leverage data to strengthen performance and effectiveness across pre-sales, to sales, and post-sales.
Revenue Marketing Data Science
The Revenue Marketing Data Science team at Shopify blends advanced marketing expertise with rigorous analytical methodologies to optimize our revenue strategies. As a Staff Product Data Scientist, you'll transform vast marketing data into actionable insights, employing techniques from performance marketing to brand measurement, ABM, and multi-touch attribution. Your analyses – which may range from A/B tests to in-depth studies – will be instrumental in refining and guiding our revenue marketing efforts.
Support Data Science
The Support Data Science team builds data products to continuously enable the monitoring and improvement of Shopify’s customer service, knowledge management, merchant satisfaction and retention using cutting edge analytical and AI-powered methodologies such as causal inference, predictive analytics, prescriptive analytics, etc. Additionally, this team is responsible for synthesizing the voice of customers (Shopify merchants) from all merchant interactions and providing critical feedback for Shopify’s product improvements. Support Data Scientists play a crucial role in ensuring our merchants are successful on the shopify platform, adopt our new products and are growing their GMV which consequently leads to higher revenue for Shopify.
- Extensive experience in technical leadership and mentoring of junior data scientists
- Proven track record of successfully leading and delivering complex, scalable data projects
- End-to-end experience of deploying data products at scale
- Extensive experience in product analytics, experimentation, metrics research, and working with engineers on instrumentation and robust data pipelining
- Extensive experience in a data science role solving large-scale, high impact business problems
- Masterful data storytelling and strategic thinking, with an ability to inspire and cultivate the Data culture within your team
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques and data modeling
- Well versed with various Business Intelligence platforms and tools
- Experience working with various levels of business stakeholders, from c-suite to Data Science senior leadership
- Working on multiple work streams excites you, and you are able to use ambiguity as an opportunity for high-level thinking
- Experience creating data product strategies, building data products, and continued iteration after launch
- Experience launching productionized machine learning models at scale is a plus
- Extensive domain experience in e-commerce, sales & marketing or SaaS is a plus
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now. Please submit your CV/Resume in PDF format.