Senior Developer - Mobile Engineering
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
We are not here to play zero-sum games. Our Staff Developer role is all about enabling entrepreneurship and creating new value for the world. We believe in unlimited personal growth for the individuals who join our team. We are not about following strict processes or micromanaging. We operate on trust and focus on making a real impact.
To thrive in this role, you have to deeply care about what you do and continuously develop your craft. We are not for everyone. If you prefer a rigid corporate structure and an in-person office environment, we're not the right fit. But if you're seeking hypergrowth, love solving complex problems, and can handle a bit of chaos, you've found your place.
We are a team of independent thinkers who are dedicated to growth. We care deeply about our work, but we also understand the bigger picture. To make commerce better for everyone, we must serve and support those who may have different beliefs than us. This means leaving personal biases outside the room and embracing constant learning and discomfort.
Joining our team means working with the most driven individuals who strive for mastery. Growth is not just an opportunity here; it's an expectation. We provide resources to help you push yourself out of your comfort zone. We thrive on change and chaos because we are building products for the long-term. We want Shopify to be a 100-year company, and that requires resilience and the ability to navigate ambiguity.
If you're ready to embrace constant growth, challenge yourself, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, then this software engineering role is for you. We don't just want you to survive; we want you to thrive amidst change and chaos.
We are hiring Senior Developers for the following discipline:
Mobile Engineering: Requires a strong understanding of React Native. Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Mobile teams default to using React Native, but drop to native when it makes sense, so openness to learn cross-platform mobile development is a must!
- Proficiency with React Native
- Applied appropriate design patterns to improve the team's capacity for delivering high-quality code.
- Contributed to work estimates, prioritization, and alignment with Product Management to ensure well-defined projects.
- Successfully tackled ambiguous or poorly defined problems, providing technical direction and fostering alignment within specific problem spaces.
- Balanced trade-offs effectively to ship solutions aligned with long-term goals and Shopify engineering principles and patterns.
- Mentored and ramped up other developers, fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth.
- Collaborated effectively with peers across disciplines, representing the team in technical planning and establishing new software patterns.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.