Android Team Lead
String and Key
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
String and Key is a research and development studio building digital platforms that will change the way people manage and protect their money. Our purpose is to empower every person to live life to the fullest, with the confidence of financial protection.
We are a team of math nerd strategists, user flow obsessed designers, result-driven developers, and epic storytelling marketers. We’re an entrepreneurial team that values doers, people who think outside the box, and those who are not afraid to experiment. We love what we do and take work-life balance and professional development as seriously as our products.
String and Key is looking for a skilled Team Lead to join our product engineering function. As Team Lead you will be responsible for managing the day to day work of a team of Mobile Developers. You will help define tasks and ensure that those tasks are delivered on time and with the expected degree of technical quality.
Engineering at String and Key
Our engineering organization is small but mighty and growing all the time. We’re a few high-trust teams where everyone is encouraged to speak up about things we should improve, leave code and documentation better than we found it, and to build and ship with both empathy and expertise.
Our engineers (and engineering leaders) are distributed across our offices in Brooklyn, NY and Durham, NC, as well as the rest of the United States. Whether you prefer being hybrid in-office or fully remote, you’ll fit right in and have colleagues all over.
Our Tech Stack
Our Android team works on a fully native Kotlin based application that serves as a primary touchpoint for users. The application provides a rich and complete user experience via highly configurable systems for forms and user journeys.
The app interacts with a Ruby on Rails backend via a GraphQL API. CircleCI and SonarCloud keep us accountable for quality.
- Manage a small team of mobile developers, setting the direction for the team at the task level.
- Collaborate with the Head of Product Engineering to translate projects into actionable tasks.
- Represent the team both within and outside of the engineering departments, functioning as a technical lead.
- Guide team members task selection and scheduling to ensure delivery is timely and impactful.
- Collaborate with the Head of Product Engineering to ensure that the team is operating within the overall engineering culture.
- Ensure an accurate portrait of the team's work is available within project management tools by connecting with the team's Producer.
- Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members
- 5+ years of professional Android development experience
- 2+ years of leadership experience in team leadership and technology management
- Significant experience with Kotlin
- Strong understanding of the Android development ecosystem
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to lead a team
Diversity and Inclusion
String and Key is a proud equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in and outside of the workplace. We strongly believe that everyone deserves a seat at the table and we support a culture where our people are empowered to be their authentic selves each and everyday.
We’re building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to reflect the world that we live in and the customers we serve. You are welcomed to apply for this role free of biases or discrimination regardless of your race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by law.
A Great Team – We focus on hiring people from diverse backgrounds who are easy to get along with and fantastic teammates.
Flexible Work Schedule – Hybrid work schedule. We’re interested in what you contribute more so than when you do it.
Work Life Balance – Unlimited PTO, Paid Holidays, along with Paid Summer Fridays and Paid parental leave.
Competitive Compensation – Exact compensation range is determined based on your region, years of experience, and specific skill set using aggregate market data from PayScale.
Health & Wellness – We offer 100% Medical Care Coverage for you and generous contributions for family, Dental and Vision Coverage, Commuter and Parking Reimbursement, 401k with a 4% Match, Health and Wellness Reimbursement, Free talkspace membership, Voluntary Long-term and Short-term Disability, Life Insurance and FSA/HSA.
Career Development – String and Key believes in upskilling their teams so each employee is provided a $1,000 annual training allowance.
Friendly office environments – Two modern offices; one in Dumbo, Brooklyn and the other in Durham, NC, offering a variety of working spaces for individual or team collaboration with free meals and snacks.
Social events – Monthly culture events, celebrations, team outings and social hours.