INDUSTRY SALES MANAGER
Location: Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Job Type: Full time
At TE, you will unleash your potential working with people from diverse backgrounds and industries to create a safer, sustainable and more connected world.
TE Connectivity's Industry Sales / Business Development Teams identify, develop, and implement near-term and long-term business development strategies relating to the development of new products, technologies and services across a specific product family or segment. They identify markets and determine the feasibility of business and work with the Product Manager teams to create effective product roadmaps.
Our Teams perform economic analyses on new or improved product opportunities, develop business models and determine market trends to substantiate long-term prospects. The North American Utility Market is going through a period of exponential change and rapid growth supported by expansion of renewable energy generations, increasing need for upgrading existing systems and improving grid reliability.
As these utilities expand their capabilities there is a growing need to use monitoring, metering and system automation to identify and react to issues on their system to minimize outages that disrupt the industrial, commercial and residential infrastructure in the North America. Our grid monitoring and protection devices meet the ever-changing need of an increasingly connected and a data-driven world. Our approach is to enhance the way we engage customers, ecosystem and partners, and focus on what really matters to drive relentless pursuit of profitable growth.
We are looking for an exceptionally driven Business Development Manager, with a strong technology background that blends strategy and execution to focus on growing our business in the Smart Grid.
This position will work closely with customers, partners, cross-functional stakeholders, and executive leaders in the development and execution of growth strategies. It will require exploration of new growth areas, profit-pool identification through deep understanding of the customers/ecosystem, building & validating strategies, and subsequently executing them to enable profitable-growth. It will require extensive interaction with external stakeholders (customers, partners) and internal stakeholders (sales, product-management, engineering, operations, finance) to determine intercept opportunities, develop value proposition, position the product/portfolio, and conduct targeted promotion to realize revenue goals. This is a visible role requiring a high degree of execution discipline, independent strategic thinking, and tolerance to ambiguity. This role will report directly to the North America Utility Sales Director.
- Engage with customers and align with the sales function to develop new business pipeline for chosen Smart Grid initiatives - starting with the Overhead and Underground Distribution systems. The Business Development Manager will manage and coordinate the process from identification, through first customer contact and into the validation and approval process, followed by tracking the Sales and Product Management team the entire sales and post sales cycles.
- Demonstrate structured thinking, mapping of applications to customers, rigor in measuring revenue/pipeline, and a playbook for identifying customers and building the business
- Lead commercialization activities, including identifying and establishing the right ecosystem relationships, developing proposals and business structures, synthesizing customer feedback for internal teams and closing targeted deals
- Initiate and collaborate with stakeholders to develop customer proposals and presentation materials including development of business cases, value propositions and supporting financial models
- Demonstrate strong program-management mindset to drive growth initiatives by providing direction by establishing priorities, assign/pursue tasks, ensure accountability, and drive systematic follow-through. Own, maintain and drive progress dashboards. Prepare reports in relationship to meeting financial goals, identification of new opportunities, new customers, and pipeline
- Communicate with and influence executive leaders and key stakeholders as part of developing and operationalizing growth strategies
- Take responsibility for priorities, strategy and roadmap for expanding into new applications and platforms through targeted initiatives
- Drive strategy formulation, development and refinement for the chosen initiatives and shepherd them through the various gates into execution
Competencies / Skills
- Highly analytical systematic strategic thinker with strong problem identification and solving skills
- Rigorously detail oriented, committed to accuracy and outcome driven
- Understanding of the Smart Grid space with expertise monitoring and metering solutions.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to build rapport with customers/stakeholders. Ability to synthesize and concisely communicate complex ideas
- Ability to understand the big picture, uncover customer needs and translate into selling opportunities
- Adept at new customer prospecting and communicating value proposition effectively
- Ability to negotiate terms and conditions to drive desired business agreement results
- Passion for both business & technology, with deep understanding of key business/technical metrics
- P&L background/understanding with strong market and technical underpinning
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a fast-paced global team environment
- Composure and resilience under pressure - can operate with clinical calmness in a crisis
- Exhibits integrity and does not compromise principles/core-values for an easier route
- Program management mindset to systematically drive outcome via well-planned milestones, time-management/organization skills, balancing content-depth with process-injection. Aggressive follow-up skills
- Proven track record of delivering complex multi-disciplinary programs/initiatives from concept through execution
- Strong intellectual curiosity, coupled with desire to learn and improve constantly
What your background should look like:
- 8 years’ experience in Business Development, Strategy, Product Management and/or Sales
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, with an advanced degree (MBA) preferred
- Experience in the Electrical Utility space. Preferred areas of experience: SCADA integration, distribution automation, relay and fuse protection.
- Experience with communications technologies, and Internet of Things (IoT) enabled devices is strongly desired.
- Ability to work remotely, and support frequent travel up to 50% (both regional and global)
ABOUT TE CONNECTIVITY
TE Connectivity is a global industrial technology leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive and connected future. Our broad range of connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, enable advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications and the home. With approximately 80,000 employees, including more than 7,500 engineers, working alongside customers in approximately 140 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS. Learn more at www.te.com and on LinkedIn, Facebook, WeChat and Twitter.
- Competitive base salary commensurate with experience: $110,600 – $138,300 (subject to change dependent on physical location)
- Posted salary ranges are made in good faith. TE Connectivity reserves the right to adjust ranges depending on the experience/qualification of the selected candidate as well as internal and external equity.
- Total Compensation = Base Salary + Incentive(s) + Benefits
- A comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, 401(k), disability, life insurance, employee stock purchase plan, paid time off and voluntary benefits.
EOE, Including Disability/Vets