Data Governance Manager
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
About the role:
The Data Governance Manager is responsible for the delivery of the Data Governance strategy and deliverables and key processes that help protect and control data across Abcam. The role comes with line management responsibly for a team of two data governance experts who manage the day-to-day delivery of data governance processes such as Record of Processing and DPIA
Overall, the Data Governance Manager leads the data governance office and supports, facilitates and administers data governance at Abcam. The responsibilities include:
Overseeing enterprise data governance program development, including maturity assessments.
Facilitating the data governance council meetings, driving the agenda in collaboration with data domain stewards and data governance partners.
Facilitating the data governance organisation, tactical and operational stewards, and the data governance council involvement.
Developing and delivering data governance program educational, awareness, and mentoring materials.
Providing quality assurance – oversight, monitor, report results to governance council.
Establishing, maintaining, and periodically reviewing and recommending changes to data governance policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures.
Assisting in defining data quality metrics for periodic release.
Supporting data quality issue analysis and remediation for “strategic” data.
Conducting audits to ensure that policies, procedures and metrics are in place for maintaining/improving the program.
Administering the data privacy program, including ownership and configuration of the data privacy management system and supporting data privacy documentation, such as the record of processing activities, data privacy impact assessments and legitimate interest assessments.
Operational management of the data loss prevention program, including escalating and resolving incidences of potential data loss.
Ownership of the data glossary and dictionaries, including facilitating business owners in providing definitions of the relevant terms.
- Relevant Domains, e.g. within the wider Data Management team and across Data and Advanced Analytics
- Functions within Abcam that include representation in the Data Governance Council, e.g. Product, Finance, Supply Chain & Manufacturing
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, good in identifying data issues and articulating recommendations to stakeholders
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, Visio, Project, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Qualification in professional data management and data governance disciplines, e.g. DAMA
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, information technology, engineering, business administration or related field
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in leading Data Governance teams and/or delivering Data Governance strategy and programs o
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible benefits package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased paid time off accrual over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.