Buyer (13 month Maternity Cover)
Job Type: Contract/temp
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
This role is a 13 month fixed term contract for maternity cover.
Under the supervision of the Global Category Lead, the Buyer manages the day-to-day interaction and sourcing responsibilities across a group of suppliers as well as other daily tasks as described below within the Direct Materials category.
- Create RFQ’s and conduct benchmark analysis to ensure the supply base is competitive
- Assist with the day to day procurement operations
- Support and lead Cross-Functional Review Boards in Global Category Lead or Procurement Manager’s absence
- Conduct and organize supplier meetings and SRM reviews
- Perform due diligence to assess the suitability and sustainability of new suppliers using the preferred Abcam tools and techniques
- Conduct new supplier due diligence including supplier audits, relevant analysis and contract negotiation
- Support the Quality and Supplier Excellence team on Supplier Audits
- Responsible for contract management and negotiation with selected suppliers
- Create internal stakeholder management relationships relating to Direct Materials suppliers
- Contribute to the procurement annual cost saving targets
- Provide day to day procurement support to the Global Sourcing Director and Global Category Lead.
- Support the company-wide quality initiative to reduce complaint rate for high complaint suppliers. This will involve review of quality data and defining root cause with suppliers. This will include working with suppliers if there is a problem in claiming for shortage
- Working cross functionally with internal teams to resolve queries as quickly as possible
- Support the Management of purchase order, invoice and contract discrepancies relating to the Direct Materials supplier base
- Work with the Accounts team to approve or reject invoices with pricing discrepancies
- Support the resolution of quality and business continuity issues relating to your assigned Direct Material suppliers
- Ensure that the procurement savings tracker is updated to reflect the most accurate picture related to Direct Material savings
- Serve as an escalation point with for all internal stakeholders including Scientific Support team/ SciQC team on complaints for specific products and help facilitate discussions with appropriate Abcam teams and the supplier to reach a resolution.
- Support the maintenance, and use of, the Global Procurement Process - policies, procedures and standards (e.g., supplier documents, SRM, preferred supplier status, internal stakeholder engagement).
- Deputising as interim cover in the Global Category Lead or Category Manager’s absence as required.
This role is ideal for someone looking to take the next step in their career.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business, Science, Operations / Engineering, or Supply Chain Management discipline is preferred but other subjects will be considered.
Holder or working towards of CIPS accreditation
2-4 years of experience in a Procurement role, preferably in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical/life sciences industries.
Evidence of strong supplier relationship activities in terms of performance measurement
This position requires a self-motivated individual with strong communication and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and multi-task in a high-paced environment. Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion is required.
The candidate must possess strong written, oral and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work well both in a team and independently when required.
The position may include some travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to negotiate supplier purchase contracts as well as commercial terms and service level agreements (essential).
- Strong analytical skills, strong relationship management
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, global, team environment and adapt to change.
- Proficient with computer-based technology (i.e. Microsoft Excel, Word, presentation and Oracle Cloud applications)
- Creative problem-solving abilities with an orientation towards results.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.