We are part of LafargeHolcim and are a leading supplier to the construction and infrastructure industries in the UK at 300 locations with more than 4,000 employees.
What we do
We produce and supply a wide range of construction materials and solutions including primary, recycled and secondary aggregates, cementitious materials, asphalt, ready-mixed and precast concrete products. We also transport waste materials as part of our delivery process and operation and are a major provider of road surfacing and civil engineering services.
Creating teams for the future
Growth, innovation and customer relationships all come from having great employees who are proud to work for us. A diverse talent pipeline will enable us to adapt with the pace of change and continue to grow and innovate for our customers’ future needs. At Aggregate Industries we recognise that to address the challenges of our fast moving markets and increased global complexity, our organisation needs to be agile, focused on growth and innovation and to anticipate the future needs of our customers.
Why we focus on diversity and inclusion
- Inclusive and diverse workplaces give access to a broader set of skills ensuring that we can attract and retain talent from every aspect of society and help us strengthen the links with our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate.
- Diversity of the leadership of our business can better influence strategic decision making, by generating innovative ideas and providing Aggregate Industries with a competitive advantage.
- Ensuring we have the processes in place and behaviours to leverage people’s differences and make them count and to create a work environment where everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the success of the business and develop their skills is vital.
- We are committed to improve the gender gap across our management and operational populations. We recognise that this is not the only aspect of diversity, however, the gender gap remains a tough challenge within the construction industry. As such this will be our initial area of focus.
- We want to achieve a minimum 30% gender diversity at all management grades around our business by 2030. To achieve this, we are investing heavily in our business diversity and inclusion programmes to ensure we have a more balanced workforce – with a particular focus on attracting more women.
Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day.
Why join us?
With us, you can expect personal development opportunities, international exposure, as well as safe and attractive working conditions.
We believe in sustainability
Sustainability is at the heart of our business, from our values to our vision and is one of our strategic pillars. Our commitments focus on the themes that are most material to our business: climate, water & nature, circular economy and people & communities. Our aim is to be a leading sustainable business, trusted and respected by our stakeholders for the ethics we adopt and the products and services we supply. By joining us, you will continue to collaborate and engage with our customers to build better relationships, develop innovative products and services and enable low carbon sustainable construction.
See it, Do It, Share It - Safety Nudge
At the start of each year we take the time to stop and reflect on how we can set ourselves up to have a healthy and safe New Year through our ‘Back to Work’ day. This year we will, as always, ensure that everyone within the business, including our contractors, feel empowered to continue to work in a healthy and safe environment throughout 2018.
Whilst we have had successes in keeping our people safe, there is no time for complacency. With this in mind, we made improvements and changes to our Health & Safety Improvement Plan, so we can all move collectively to the next level of health & safety.
‘See It, Do It, Share It’...what does this mean? It’s simple really, we ask that our colleagues be confident in challenging behaviours and practices, flag any issues as they are seen and report any incidents, near misses or concerns. We also praise individuals and groups in all aspects of health and safety; everyone likes a pat on the back and a quick safety nudge is a great way to do this.
We take health seriously
We attach as much importance to health as we do to safety, with a focus on controlling workplace health risks, ensuring fitness to perform work tasks safely and promoting the health and wellbeing of our employees and contractors. As well as having 45 mental health first aiders throughout the business, we have an Employee Assistance Programme dedicated to providing resources to help employees overcome life's many challenges.
We acknowledge that mental health is just as important as physical health. We run workshops and mental health first aid courses in partnership with the charity Mind. We now have 45 trained mental health first aiders in the business. These individuals can now provide help on a first aid basis and offer guidance to their colleagues about where to go for support. Just like our traditional safety first aiders, posters are placed at sites so our colleagues know who their site mental health first aiders are and how to reach them for support.
Why is health so important to us?
A healthy workforce means fewer absences and incidents, as well as improved staff morale, employee engagement and overall business performance. All our employees have regular health checks and we’re focussing more on mental health, providing awareness courses and training for people to become mental health first aiders. This combined focus on physical and mental health forms part of every individual’s health plan.
We recognise talent
Our focus remains on developing people and their capabilities, including identifying our talent pipeline and succession planning. We will help enhance your skills and offer you excellent growth opportunities.
You will be encouraged to reach your full potential through ongoing learning and development at every level within the business. Annually we devote around 25,000 days on development activities for our colleagues; with courses covering a range of topics including professional, functional and personal growth.