Senior Java Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let’s lead the way together.
Our Engineers not only understand how technology works but also how technology intersects with the customer and clients who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal, and fulfilling experience for everyone. So, if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and growing your skills then look no further.
Our platforms process and authorize millions of card transactions daily across the Global Payment Network Platform, this network is the critical backbone for all American Express payment transactions and is built upon real time, low latency & highly available components. These customer facing capabilities integrate with the payment network to power the American Express brand to enable key spending channels like mobile payments and e-commerce. We design, develop & deliver secure services for both the core & customer facing services.
We are looking for a creative Senior Software Engineer with experience in the fundamentals of web development. The role’s primary focus will involve solution design with the architecture team to ensure the developed capability is secure, responsive and meets the customer needs. As a Senior Engineer, you will lead a scrum team in building these core features and deploy to in a private cloud service within the American Express infrastructure.
The ideal candidate:
- Serves as a core team member to drive user story analysis, design, and delivery of responsive backend services - utilising best engineering principles
- Looks proactively beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities
- Familiarity with API & integration patterns to securely communicate with backend services and clients
- Works in an agile delivery team, with familiarity with the processes and ceremonies.
- Has a drive to learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions
- Good positive attitude, communication, willingness to learn and share with others
- Effective in managing work priorities and your time - both independently and as part of a team
- Brings a culture of innovation and experimentation, as well as manage risk taking to implement creative ideas.
- Brings a culture of continuous improvement and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Guides and mentors other engineers and collaborate with external teams & the Product Owner
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Design and coding of user stories for distributed, scalable, high performant and systems using Java
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Contribute to the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Collaborate with peer technology and development teams across international locations
- Sharing best practices and mentoring of new team members
- Support design architect and present new solutions and services
- Document technical solutions, operational support guides
- University Degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience
- Significant hands-on experience on enterprise software development
- Advanced technical skills in the areas of microservices, APIs, distributed Messaging and Java 11 or later
- Certification in Java or other technology products
- Experience with other JVM languages e.g. Groovy, Kotlin
- Financial Transaction knowledge – Domain knowledge in ISO8583 messages, Payment Authorizations, Acquirers, Payment Networks, Issuers, Processors
- Experience with messaging and distributed systems using Kafka event streams
- Experience designing and deploying low latency systems and performance optimisation
- Background in designing and building Cloud native applications for cloud platforms using Docker, Kubernetes, and OpenShift
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org