UK Pensions Specialist
Job Type: Full time
As a Pensions Specialist you will be responsible for providing support of our UK trust based defined benefit and defined contribution pension schemes.
The UK Pensions & Benefits team has management, governance and operational responsibility for the firm’s trust based UK benefit programmes including a comprehensive flexible benefits program, a large medical trust and 7 UK pension schemes, the largest of which has approximately 50,000 members.
- Providing Trustee Secretarial services for one or more of the schemes coordinated by the team, including:
- Preparation of meeting papers, attendance at Trustee meetings, preparation of minutes and resolution of actions;
- Ensuring scheme governance material is up to date, including maintenance of risk registers, business plans and all policies;
- Ensuring the Trustee Board is fully supported in fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Working as part of the team to oversee and coordinate ongoing plan activities such as plan accounts, member newsletters, benefit statements and actuarial valuations.
- Acting as a point of contact for scheme administrators and advisers in relation to on-going projects, correspondence and member queries including formal complaints.
- Cooperation with the administration supplier services on an ongoing basis, ensuring delivery against SLAs and compliant administration.
- Assisting with supervising the day to day provision of services by external providers, including actuaries, lawyers, investment consultants, investment managers.
- Providing support to the Pensions Manager and other team members in the operation and coordination of the larger schemes and projects as required.
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills:
We are looking for a pensions & benefits professional with experience of trust based UK pension schemes. A highly motivated individual who is ready for a role that will allow them to put into practice the skills they have developed in their career to date. Other requirements include:
- Relevant experience of UK defined benefit and/or defined contribution schemes gained either as part of an in-house pensions team or consultancy
- Experience in providing secretarial and support services to Trustee Boards, with an understanding of both defined benefit and defined contributions schemes.
- Strong technical skills and able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of current UK pensions legislation and best governance practice.
- Analytical – a problem solver with ability to make decisions with high attention to detail and based on a thorough understanding of the relevant facts.
- Strong team player with excellent organizational skills, used to managing varied and sometimes challenging priorities, with ability to take ownership of projects, be proactive and flexible.
- Relationship builder with strong influencing skills – an effective communicators who is able to influence decision-making and is comfortable working at senior levels internally and externally.
- Strong focus on risk management.
Preferred qualifications, capabilities, and skills:
- Preferably APMI qualified or working towards.