Lead Java Software Engineer
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
This is an exciting opportunity to join as an engineering lead in a growth team within AWM Data Technology, Glasgow. The AWM Data Tech team’s responsibility is to design and develop common services and user interfaces that will be utilised to maintain and distribute core data across Asset & Wealth Management. The role spans both the shared data distribution platform and securities & pricing domain, and is focused on using both innovative development technologies and best-of-breed automation toolsets to allow true continuous delivery.
The focus is from senior managers through to graduates having a hands on role towards development with a focus on quality and delivery, utilising practices such as TDD, continuous integration, There is a real focus on DevOps and many ‘Shift-left’ practices within the team. Indeed, the team operates a series of ‘Shift-right’ practices around feature toggling, blue/green deployments, etc.
A secondary remit of this group is to develop software in such a way that they would be seen as role models and could coach across the organisation. The approach and tooling being utilised throughout will utilise Agile techniques and has 100% commitment from senior leaders that it will be implemented in the way the Developers see fit. The department has the following set of core values and culture they work towards.
- Individual empowerment (reduced hurdles and overhead), quality and continuous improvement built into team's culture
- Co-located Agile Feature team with workspace and tools for closer collaboration, whilst also feeling part of a larger global team
- Conscious effort to build a simple architecture and leverage reusable components / services
- Targeted use of a cloud based application landscape using 12-factor Application Principles
- Team-first attitude along with trust; support each other to upgrade skills
- Standard methodologies with "minimum requirements" clearly articulated
- Targeted training to impart new tech. skills and methodology knowledge
- Strong Tech. leadership that understands the different AD functions, stakeholders and their interests
- DevOps first principles around all aspects of the role
Technology & Experience:
Extensive experience in the design and development of best-of-breed solutions using modern design patters is key to this role. The attitude and behaviours of the candidate are more important than expertise in a particular library or framework, so if you don’t tick all the boxes in the technologies listed but you are passionate about technology, willingness to learn and delivery focused then please feel free to still apply, focused and passionate individuals will get up to speed very quickly on any technology.