Java Software Engineer
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
CIB Global Clearing are building a new SRE team in Glasgow. Join a team that finds problems and seeks the best solution, join a team that blends software engineering and a DevOps mindset to tackle challenging and complex problems. Join our team and make a difference!
J.P. Morgan's Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world's most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
The Global Clearing business rolls up to the Global Equities LOB within the Corporate & Investment Bank and helps clients clear and settle derivative transactions globally across a full suite of products including listed futures, options, FX, rates and credit derivatives.
We are looking for enthusiastic software developers to join our new Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) team. The team will be responsible to ensure that the practices, processes and tools are in place to ensure stability and functionality of each application across in our Global Clearing technology stack.
Working in tandem with our engineering teams you will identify, develop and support innovative technology solutions including user interfaces, middle-tier and server-side components. Collaborating with the broader global technology infrastructure teams you will adhere to the firm wide best practices and strategies relating to observability, application deployments and infrastructure maintenance. You will focus on creating highly performant, secure and stable solutions that align to our first class engineering practices and standards.
In this role you will:
- Engage with development teams throughout the life cycle to help develop software for reliability and ensuring sustainable software releases.
- Drive our Cloud infrastructure forward with containerization, configuration management, CI pipelines, Infra as code and more – continuously improve with an SRE mindset.
- Drive adoption of self-healing and resiliency patterns.
- Optimize our services to scale from the outset using a telemetry stack that you own.
- Champion a DevOps model so that services are automated and elastic across all platforms.
- Define and drive adoption of best in class monitoring frameworks to accomplish end to end flow monitoring.
- Troubleshoot incidents and facilitate blameless post-mortems.
- Add value to team delivery and works with team to complete tasks to high quality and actively learns new skills.
- Design and conduct performance tests, identify bottlenecks and opportunities for optimization.
- If required, the ability to participate in 24x7 support
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in an software engineering discipline
- Experience in at least one technology stack (e.g. Java etc.) with designing, coding, testing, and delivering software. The applicant should expect to be actively developing, improving and maintaining software and deployments.
- Experience with deployment automation, CI/CD, DevOps, Jenkins, GIT, BitBucket
- Understanding of SRE philosophy, technologies, platforms and tools, SLA management, incident resolution, and automation.
- Attention to detail and time-management skills.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- Prior experience/familiarity with technologies such as AWS, Dynatrace and Container platforms.
- Prior experience/familiarity with the development of automated tools, systems, and services in multiple technology domains.
- Self-Driven with a sense of ownership.
- Is endlessly curious about applications and application stability.