Markets Portfolio Management - Analyst
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As an Analyst in Markets Portfolio Management Team, you will be part of the Financial Resource Management across Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities (FICC) with immediate focus in Rates, Fixed Income Financing, Currencies & Emerging Markets, Commodities and CPG businesses, while also expanding focus in Credit and SPG businesses.
In today’s environment where regulation continues to play a significant role in shaping business, the group has a critical mandate to understand, quantify and manage risks associated with the increasingly complex regulatory landscape (Basel III, G-SIB, etc.) and create structured solutions to enhance capital efficiency. Key business partners include Trading, CIB Treasury, Market Risk Basel Group, CIB Risk and the Regulatory Capital Management Office.
Your role will be to work with the Markets Portfolio Management team and relevant desk heads to optimize their financial resource footprint (including, but not limited to, assessing capital, balance-sheet and funding/liquidity needs, understanding regulatory constraints and firm/CIB strategy and how this translates into challenges/opportunities for the business).
You will interface with trading and financing organizations across FICC, as well as a broad range of Markets, CIB and Corporate support functions, as we develop strategies for optimal resource deployment and enhancing profitability for the LOBs under our remit.
You should have a background in finance and knowledge of securities (cash and financing) and derivatives products spanning all the major asset classes. Ideally, you will also have an understanding of one or more of the following: funding, balance sheet dynamics, liquidity and capita.
- Become a subject matter expert on capital, balance sheet, funding and liquidity and understand how these financial constraints creates challenges/opportunities for the Fixed Income business franchises; Understand the effects of internal policy and external regulatory changes to help manage balance sheet, funding, liquidity and capital related costs/charges within the Markets business
- Assist in establishing integrated capital and funding strategy across Markets Trading Business
- Develop structuring solutions to enhance returns, mitigate capital burden and reduce funding costs
- Partner with MPM Data Analytics and Technology to create new Big Data solutions for the business
- Provide analytical support for key projects relating to the capital and funding agenda across business lines
- Monitoring of Balance Sheet usage and limit management
- Support key regulatory requirements and projects such as Basel 3 Endgame, CCAR and FRTB
- Establish relationships across CIB Treasury, CIB Risk, Market Risk Basel Group, Regulatory Capital Management Office, Finance, Legal, Compliance, and Operations to effectively manage business risks
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills:
- Understanding of accounting, balance sheet, funding and regulatory principles and their application
- Self-directed, highly motivated and able to work independently on multiple conflicting priorities and under pressure; Proactive and entrepreneurial
- Detail-oriented approach to problem-solving; able to break down and structure complex problems, then develop data-driven solutions to guide management decision-making
- Experience and/or awareness of market, credit and liquidity risk aspects of financial products in both securities & derivatives instruments is an advantage
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to interact comfortably with a variety of businesses, management and control functions
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong work ethic, eagerness to learn and take initiative
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative work environment
This role encompasses the performance of regulated activity. The successful candidate will therefore be subject to meeting regulatory requirements in the assessment of fitness, propriety, knowledge and competence (as assessed by the Firm) and (where appropriate) approval by the relevant regulatory authorities to carry out such activities.