Technical Principal - Rail Systems Assurance & Conformance
Job Type: Full time
Due to continued growth, the Systems Engineering and Assurance team are recruiting a Technical Principal to support the Head of Discipline (HoD) with the delivery of Rail Assurance engineering activities.
As part of a busy team within a global engineering, management and development consultancy, the role involves a blend of Project Delivery, Technical Leadership, Bids & Proposals and Resource Management to help ensure our high calibre team maintains its reputation for professional excellence and continues to exceed client expectations.
The main responsibilities and duties of this role require the following:
- Deliver fee-paying work including acting as Project Manager / Principal where appropriate.
- Foster a culture of right first-time delivery and work with Project Managers/Principals to ensure effective project delivery.
- Oversee/Monitor the effectiveness of staff inputs on projects and deal with issues.
- Take appropriate responsibility for implementation of company QMS procedures.
- Provide technical mentoring to the team and others in the delivery of Rail Assurance activities.
- Provide direction with knowledge management and digital delivery initiatives for the team.
- As appropriate, work with the HoD, Practice Managers, Account Managers and Professional Heads to extend the Rail Assurance service offering in response to business needs.
- Work with Account Managers to assess the scope of services and business development opportunities and respond to client feedback with a view to improving skills and addressing issues.
- Working with the HoD, taking the lead in shaping the strategic direction of the discipline in line with the priorities set in the divisional business plan and organisational purpose.
- Work with the HoD, Practice Managers, Resource Manager and Professional Heads to identify and implement continuous improvement actions in technical quality and delivery efficiency.
Resource and People Management
- Guide, inspire and motivate people in the team to achieve high levels of performance and excellence.
- Provide supervision and mentoring, identifying opportunities for professional development and progression along with specific line management responsibilities for designated direct reports.
- Ensure all health, safety and welfare practices are adhered to (e.g. travel and site visits).
- Play a supportive role in wellbeing initiatives being undertaken in the division.
- Work with the HoD, Account Managers, Principal Account Managers and Resource Manager to proactively manage workloads and effective forecasting and ensure maximum utilisation of team members, allocate appropriate staff to projects or bids as agreed.
- Highlight any recruitment needs and work with the HoD to develop and implement recruitment plans, undertake recruitment activities as necessary.
- Directly support the HoD with the regular cascade of communications to all levels within the team.
The Technical Principal role is a key contributor to the management and guidance of the team and in developing a culture that supports the Mott MacDonald global delivery model.
We are seeking an experienced Rail Assurance professional with a proven track record of managing teams and successfully leading Rail Systems Assurance projects.
- Be enthusiastic about applying and delivering Rail Assurance on projects.
- Have the ability to motivate teams, take the initiative, make conclusions and work to tight deadlines to meet client needs.
- Be able to build and maintain strong relationships with both your colleagues and external clients through excellent verbal and written communication in English.
- Have a strong attention to detail, as well as having a logical but creative approach to problem solving.
- Be able to liaise confidently with external customers and colleagues across Mott MacDonald.
- Be prepared to travel in the UK and possibly abroad for short periods of time.
The role is based in Derby but other locations will be considered. There will be the possibility of occasional visits to site.
You should have most of the following:
Academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- A post graduate qualification in engineering, mathematical or science-based subject.
- Experience of CSM RA from an Assessment Body perspective and CSM RA delivery from a project perspective.
- Proven experience of involvement in hazard identification / risk assessment workshops.
- Experience in interpreting legislation especially related to Common Safety Method and application on assurance and safety engineering projects.
- Knowledge of Railway Interoperability Regulations and the application of TSIs and NNTRs.
- You will be a member of a relevant professional institution (e.g. IET, IMechE, SaRS, INCOSE) and either Chartered or working towards professional registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Essential competencies / skills:
- Good report writing, team mentorship, team working and communication skills.
- Line management of staff and support with professional development and wellbeing.
- Familiar with using standard office software to produce well-presented, coherent professional documentation.
Desirable academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- Degree in a suitable engineering discipline.
- Qualification in Systems Engineering.
- Experience of Systems Engineering through the full lifecycle.
- Experience of using Systems Engineering tools and techniques (e.g. DOORS, EA).
- Understanding of Human Factors integration on projects.
- Some experience of design, production, installation and commissioning of engineering systems.
- Experience of working in the rail industry for a design consultancy.
Desirable competencies / skills:
- Bidding, commercial and project management experience within a consultancy.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.