Senior Data Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
This role is a Senior Data Engineer responsible for the successful implementation of data pipelines, initiatives and projects within EUNA and ISMA.
The role will report to the Central Digital Implementation Manager.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Engineer to lead a small team implementing data pipelines and ETL processes, database management, reporting and analytics , deployed on Azure through our Moata platform, using infrastructure as code (IaC) and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) in accordance with best practice.
You will be responsible for managing projects and delivering to clients and therefore need to combine a consulting skillset and ability to ask the right questions to capture requirements (even where people may not exactly know what they want) with technical expertise in data engineering, including hands-on experience working with Azure (or similar cloud platforms) and databases. You'll need to balance demand from projects with the capacity of resources that you manage, plus those supporting from our global delivery centre and supply chain partners as an extended, hybrid team.
You will also take on direct line management responsibility for BI developers and data engineers in our team, helping shape their career pathways and support them in progressing their professional development.
Main responsibilities are:
- Leading data engineering implementation - designing and configuring Azure solutions to solve data, analytics and business intelligence problems
- Implement monitoring solutions and processes to ensure high uptime for all deployments
- Consulting with project teams (non digital/data specialists) to understand their challenges, capture requirements and advise them on the feasibility and effort required for desired solutions
- Continuously identify areas of improvement and ensure the application of industry standards and best practices as well as Mott MacDonald's standard patterns and requirements
- Resource management to meet demand from projects across the UK, Europe and the Middle East with available data engineering capabilities in your extended team
- Mentor and support the professional development of more junior data engineers and BI developers in the extended team including your direct reports and colleagues our global delivery centre
- Proven track record of designing, implementing, and supporting data engineering solutions in cloud technologies such as Azure or AWS, including:
- configuring continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- expertise in SQL
- expertise in Python
- experience ofDevOps methodology
- Strong knowledge of database infrastructure (including storage, collection, and aggregation models), relevant industry standard techniques and technologies, and how to apply them in business
- Understanding of security considerations and security-first mindset in deployment of solutions
- Clear communication skills to convey technical information to non-specialist colleagues, and ask the right questions to understand project requirements and inform solution design
- Experience managing more junior team members, providing technical guidance or mentoring and supporting their professional development
- Ability to manage delivery of tasks within a project and coordinate inputs from across the team to meet an agreed goal and timeframe
- Highly collaborative, comfortable working in diverse, cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Ability to achieve through others, providing right balance of challenge and support to get the best out of individual team members through a combination of coaching and mentoring
- Data engineering experience using Microsoft Azure technologies: DevOps, Data Lake, Data Factory etc
- Knowledge of using Azure DevOps to deploy PowerBI datasets and creating pipelines that integrate with document libraries and files in Microsoft SharePoint;
- Experience managing extended hybrid teams, including working remotely with colleagues in offshore resource centres and supply chain partners
We are actively recruiting a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We recognise that differences in ability, skills and experience are a strength and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds