Sr. Modem Systems Engineer, Qualcomm, Bristol UK
Location: Bristol City
Job Type: Full time
Qualcomm Technologies International Ltd
Job Area:Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Systems Engineering
About the Role:
Designs, implements, verifies, validates, and commercializes Wireless connectivity modem as a product or component within a product.
Works on the implementation of a multi-RAT (Radio Access Technology) wireless connectivity modem from industry specifications (such as Bluetooth, UWB, IEEE 802.15.4, etc.).
Has experience in the wireless connectivity specifications and can efficiently implement the shared resources of a multi-RAT modem.
Works closely with other functional groups to develop a cost effective, high quality and high capability modem that meets industry and customer requirements with high performance (e.g. throughput, latency, power consumption) and acceptable cost (e.g. silicon area, calibration complexity, code size).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies advanced modem knowledge (e.g., RF, baseband signal processing, communication protocols) and design methodology for one area within modem hardware, systems, or firmware to execute modem assignments; participates in and shares own perspective within domain of modem subject matter expertise in design reviews and project meetings.
- Develops models, code, and/or simulations to test accuracy and reliability of design for less well-defined component under some supervision; identifies potential tradeoffs and makes recommendations to resolve issues; collaborates with cross-functional peers to design products that meet customer requirements and standards.
- Develops test environment and test cases to test/verify design for a specific component; works with peers to evaluate the impact of results and validate modem against specifications; defines the test plan.
- Assists with the integration of modem architecture and systems into a platform or product; helps resolve issues during implementation and commercialization with some guidance.
- Writes detailed technical documentation and feature descriptions to guide users and/or customers to use or implement output.
Level of Responsibility:
- Working under some supervision.
- Taking responsibility for own work and making decisions with limited impact; impact of decisions is readily apparent; errors made typically only impact timeline (i.e., require additional time to correct).
- Using verbal and written communication skills to convey information that may be somewhat complex to others who may have limited knowledge of the subject in question; may require basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact, and diplomacy, etc.
- Working within prescribed budget and resources.
- Completing most tasks with multiple steps which can be performed in various orders; some planning and prioritization must occur to complete the tasks effectively; mistakes may result in some rework.
- Exercising creativity to draft original documents, imagery, or work products within established guidelines.
- Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often information is missing or incomplete; intermediate data analysis/interpretation skills may be required.
- May be solicited during strategic planning period.
- Master's degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to program effectively in C/C++, Python and/or Matlab
Excited about this role, but not sure if you meet 100% of the criteria? We would still like to hear from you and would welcome your application.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field and 2+ years of Systems Engineering or related work experience.
Master's degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field and 1+ year of Systems Engineering or related work experience.
PhD in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field.
Where you will be working:
Bristol, a city enveloped in the hills of South West England, it has developed an unmistakable identity and fiercely independent spirit, forged by its passionate locals.
A city steeped in centuries-old heritage and irrepressible creative essence.
Bristol city is well served by road and rail links, and is within 7 miles to Bristol airport.
What's on Offer:
Apart from working in an open, relaxed and collaborative space, you will enjoy:
- Salary, stock and performance related bonus
- Employee stock purchase scheme
- Matching pension scheme
- Life, Medical, Income and Travel Insurance
- Relocation Assistance (If required)
- Enhanced Maternity Leave
- Enhanced Paternity Leave
- Menopause Support
- Education Assistance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Voluntary Health Checks
- Global Wellbeing Days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Bicycle purchase scheme
- Employee run clubs, including, running, football, chess, badminton + many more
Qualcomm actively seeks and recruits diverse candidates for positions at the company. Diverse teams, built around different perspectives, experiences and skill sets, fuel creativity and innovation. We’re developing leaders and shaping future talent pools to help us meet the needs of our diverse customers worldwide. This means we’re taking a broad approach to finding diverse candidates.
We are proud to be a WORK180 endorsed employer, see our range of UK benefits and policies directly at WORK180: Qualcomm Benefits | WORK180 Endorsed Employer
Equal Opportunities & Equal Pay:
We are an Equal Opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any protected classification.
Employees in Bristol have a strong sense of community. We are encouraged through the philanthropic endeavours of the Qualcomm Foundation to support causes that matter to us.
Links to videos or articles:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Qualcomm
*References to a particular number of years experience are for indicative purposes only. Applications from candidates with equivalent experience will be considered, provided that the candidate can demonstrate an ability to fulfill the principal duties of the role and possesses the required competencies.
Although this role has some expected minor physical activity, this should not deter otherwise qualified applicants from applying. If you are an individual with a physical or mental disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found herefor assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities as part of our ongoing efforts to create an accessible workplace.
Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
Qualcomm expects its employees to abide by all applicable policies and procedures, including but not limited to security and other requirements regarding protection of Company confidential information and other confidential and/or proprietary information, to the extent those requirements are permissible under applicable law.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies:Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers.