Senior Analyst - GB Power Market
Location: Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Perth and Kinross, Reading
Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a crucial role in the net zero transition, ensuring we have the energy supplies required to meet the needs of our customers; procuring the fuel required by the generation plants and selling the power output from our renewable and low-carbon thermal assets.
Join us on our journey to net zero, and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to: Perth, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Reading, Cardiff or Belfast.
Salary: £45,400 - £68,200 + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Energy Economics, within Energy Markets, acts as the internal economic advisor to the Energy Business units of the SSE Group, producing long-term outlooks for market prices and asset revenues for use in all asset evaluations. As a Senior Analyst in the Energy Economics Power Modelling team you will support the GB Power Market Manager in the delivery of long-term forecasts of power prices and revenues for the wholesale and balancing markets, capacity market, and other associated revenue mechanisms through market intelligence gathering, long-term assumption building and analytical modelling. Through your role you will:
- Provide research and analysis to support the production of our long-term price and revenue forecasts for the GB market.
- Work closely with the Energy Business units to provide the commercial and analytical insight and support required to underpin long-term investment decisions, asset valuations and other strategic decision making.
- Maintain and operate long-term pricing models, completing quality control review of results and translating this into actionable insights. Our main market modelling software is PLEXOS, but some tasks may require analytical modelling outside of this.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure modelling approaches and assumptions are up-to date and appropriate.
- Promote and explain our modelling to our internal customers, ensure that the service delivery meets their needs and incorporating feedback into the development of our service offerings.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Demonstrated experience of producing market modelling and analysis within the Energy industry or comparable sector.
- Broad knowledge of power markets or transferable knowledge from a similar sector.
- Ability to understand and interpret complex information into commercially viable insights.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft offer tools for data analysis, storage, and presentation. (VBA, SQL, Python, Power BI, Databricks, Tableau or similar) and experience in the use of marketing modelling software (PLEXOS or similar).
- Experience of working within forecasting, energy consulting, power market modelling, data analysis, research within the energy market would be desirable.
About our Business
Energy Markets (EM) is the heart of the SSE Group, securing value for SSE's asset portfolios in wholesale energy markets as we move towards our vision of being a leading energy company in a net zero world. We play a critical role as the short-term energy market asset optimiser, and a long-term energy market adviser, for all SSE's Business Units (across SSE's Wind, Hydro, Low Carbon Thermal, Distributed Energy and Customer portfolios). This role for EM enables SSE to focus its investment in energy markets capabilities (including Trading, Risk Management, Energy Economics, Settlements and Advanced Analytics) in one centre of excellence, with these enhanced capabilities supporting value creation and decision making across the SSE Group.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Lynsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01738 340426.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.