Policy and Public Affairs Manager
Location: Berkshire, Dorset, England, England, Greater London, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Medway, Oxfordshire, Perth and Kinross, Portsmouth, Reading, Renfrewshire, Somerset, Surrey, Surrey, Surrey, Swindon, Wiltshire, Wiltshire
Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. With a commitment to invest over £20.5 billion in low carbon projects by 2027, we are well on our way to achieving our vision of being a leading energy company in a net zero world by developing, building, operating and investing in low-carbon infrastructure.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference if that you will be based in one of our key UK sites which includes but not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Reading, Havant or London
Salary: £45,400 - £68,200 (depending on skills and experience) + performance-related bonus and a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible Working options available
We are looking for a Policy and Public Affairs Manager who can help facilitate the growth ambitions of SSE Enterprise by understanding, advising on and influencing the policy landscape and the business' political stakeholders, in order to create opportunities. SSE Enterprise is pursuing rapid growth in adjacent markets including EV charging infrastructure, heat networks and behind the meter solutions among others.
As part of the Corporate Affairs team, you will partner the business units within SSE Enterprise to influence positively their key stakeholders and help them achieve business outcomes.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Devising and delivering proactive stakeholder engagement strategies – fostering relationships with politicians, policymakers and wider stakeholders.
- Coordinating policy consultation responses.
- Proactively monitoring the external landscape to identify and advise on emerging trends, risks and opportunities, as well as providing trusted counsel on advocacy and reputational issues for a fast-growing business unit.
- Ensuring effective planning and coordination with Corporate Affairs colleagues across the wider SSE Group.
- Proactive and reactive communications, articulating a compelling narrative that helps build the internal and external reputation of the business.
What do I need?
Reporting to the Head of Corporate Affairs for SSE Enterprise, you will enjoy working autonomously, managing your own work and outputs, whilst supporting the wider business unit and SSE Group Corporate Affairs teams.
To be considered for the role, we would love for you to have:
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to cope with a changeable workload. You will be a problem solver, with the ability to proactively identify potential reputational risks and opportunities and create a strategy for handling these as well as being able to positively influence our internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong relationships with key external stakeholders, including policy decision-makers, trade associations, government officials, representing SSE with these external audiences at meetings and engagements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with interpersonal skills which will give you both the credibility and the capability to advise and influence others.
- Ability to operate confidently at all levels of the organisation, providing advice to colleagues including senior management. You will be adept at building trusted relationships using influencing skills to effectively manage conflict and broker solutions and will appreciate the opportunity to always be learning from those around you.
- Ability to 'horizon scan' and track issues in the distributed energy, heat and regional public affairs and policy space that could affect the interests of the business units.
- Policy and public affairs experience and a passion for reading 'the energy contest' in a sector that rarely stands still.
To be successful, you should understand SSE and the sectors it operates within and have a demonstrable track record of success in stakeholder engagement and policy development.
About our Business
People in Corporate Affairs work collaboratively externally and internally to advise, influence and communicate in order to help SSE's businesses succeed and contribute to SSE being a leading energy provider in a low-carbon world. We have a wide range of audiences we want to reach including investors, competitors, governments, partners, suppliers, communities and prospective employees, and our Corporate Affairs team builds and cultivates these relationships to help us get our story across.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and we'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 341814.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.