Submarine Cable Design and Project Engineer
Location: Aberdeen City, Angus Council, Angus Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll and Bute Council, Dundee City Council, Highland Council, Highland Council, Moray, Renfrewshire
Job Type: Full time
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be close to one of our SSEN offices or depots at Glasgow, Aberdeen, Huntly, Peterhead, Arbroath, Montrose, Dunoon, Lochgilphead, Oban, Fort William, Kyle of Lochalsh or Elgin
Salary: £49,559 - £56,757 + car /car allowance + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Working with the submarine electricity cables team, you will be responsible for managing the engineering and technical elements of design and installation of our submarine cable projects. Our projects vary from the inspection, repair and maintenance of existing submarine cables, to the survey, design and installation of replacement and new submarine cables.
Reporting to the Lead Submarine Cable Design Engineer and relevant Project Managers, you will support the delivery of engineering elements of the projects from the preliminary route identification through to the development of the detailed design and cable installation and commissioning.
With a priority on safety and the environment, you will have technical and design responsibilities within:
- Submarine Cable procurement.
- Submarine Cable route design, including desktop feasibility study, cable burial risk assessment, on bottom stability analysis and UXO risk assessment.
- Preparing pre-construction information and scopes for all aspects of the works in line with SSEN’s specification and industry best standard.
- Managing technical aspects of Contractors, from delivering survey data, to report generation, through to cable installation.
- Technical support to the wider subsea team, procurement and commercial, environmental and consents.
- Internal design governance processes, including design management and design risk.
You will be responsible for consideration of stakeholder views within the design phase of the projects and during construction, and will be responsible for communicating with and developing internal and external relationships.
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following essential experience to join us;
- Experience of submarine power cable landfall assessments, route engineering, design analysis and specifying methods of cable installation, burial and protection, based on marine survey data. Experience of route engineering design with GIS and drawing packages.
- Knowledge of submarine power cable installation, both in deep and shallow waters, and aspects that may affect the cable integrity during installation and operation.
- Experience of preparing and managing tender packages for submarine power cable works, including installation and marine surveys.
- Experience in considering stakeholder views within the design development.
- Applicable Engineering Degree qualified or equivalent experience.
The following experience is also desirable but not essential for the role;
- Knowledge of the operation of the electrical distribution network.
- Experience of onshore cable route assessment for subsequent connection of the submarine cable to the distribution network.
- Knowledge and application of the Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2015.
- Experience of preparing pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments and design reviews.
For this role you must have a full, current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net-zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. You'll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net-zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger – an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 351698.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.