Location: Argyll and Bute Council
Job Type: Full time
About the Role
Base Location: Oban
Salary: £31,339 - £40,246 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
As an Automation Technician you will ensure all asset management functions for automated secondary equipment within the region are met on time. This will include inspection, maintenance, fault investigation and repair. There may also be a requirement to assist on the installation of new equipment. Common tasks;
- Monitor the 'North Incidental Report' daily reviewing the outstanding defects spreadsheet, working alongside Network Integrity Engineers to identify automation defects and implementing action plans to rectify these failures - including download and initial interpretation of system logs.
- Within the greater automation team, plan works to ensure compliance tasks are met, such that all sites are inspected annually. Avoid duplication and repeat visits, and where possible rectify any outstanding defects.
- Carry out end to end onsite testing between the Network Management Centre and local test box at secondary sites to prove communications & digital controls are working correctly.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- HNC (in an electrical discipline)or able to demonstrate a strong knowledge, through experience, the operation of electrical distribution network.
- An understanding of the Operational Safety Rules and an understanding of procedures and work instructions applicable to works on automated plant.
- The ability to deliver within challenging timescales, the ability to effectively prioritise, plan and organise, balance immediate and longer-term business priorities including delegation to others.
- Excellent communication skill able to present information effectively at all levels.
- Current SSE electrical authorisations are considered a substantial benefit - in particular LV switching and working, HV switching and Senior Authorised Person (SAP).
It is an essential requirement for this role that you have a full, current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. You’ll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger – an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Robert.Clark@sse.com / 01738 341105.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.