Job Type: Full time
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £20.5bn in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Reading (hybrid model with a blend of office and home working)
Salary: £38,700 - £58,100 dependent on experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Management Accountant will be responsible for providing financial support to the Distribution business team within Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution (SHEPD) and Southern Electric Power Distribution (SEPD) entities.
As a natural monopoly, our Distribution business is subject to regulatory oversight by the industry regulator, Ofgem. As such we have a 'Regulatory Contract' (referred often to as a Regulatory Licence) in which we are required to comply with a number of obligations and underpin our financial and business performance drivers. The need to understand how the business operates and the nature of our regulatory obligations under our RIIO price controls are a key aspect of this role as well as providing support and robust challenge to colleagues.
The role will require you to work on your own initiative, understand complex issues, and convey this succinctly and clearly to inform decisions. This is a varied and challenging role with key responsibilities as follows:
- Ensuring financial information is prepared on an accurate & timely basis; including reporting & financial analysis for key performance & monthly management reporting (at Regional & Directorate level).
- Supporting and challenging the business alongside the Business Partnering team. Understanding key financial drivers and commercial processes. Coaching the business in effective financial management, providing insight, and understanding of risks and opportunities, and working with Operations and Asset Management to support the drive for productivity and efficiency. Acting as an “independent critical friend” to support good management decisions.
- Supporting and challenging the business alongside the Business Partnering team on monthly / forecast / budget review meetings and business team meetings; visiting sites within the Region and also internal stakeholders; and being an integral part of the Regional team driving the delivery of revenue and capital projects & other indirect costs within budget and on time.
- Maintain effective financial control across Distribution Finance with inputs into; control account reconciliations, balance sheet analysis, effective journal back-up, project ledger to general ledger reconciliations and working with the business to manage purchase ledger house-keeping (GRNI).
- Supporting the Business Partnering team with budgeting & forecasting (covering revenue / capital projects & other controllable costs e.g. employee related costs), including identifying opportunities to improve the forecasting process.
What do I need?
Have experience operating in a finance role within a large organisation with experience of financial operations; reporting on financial drivers & performance; collating and reviewing financial forecasts, delivering reports and insight on the forecast; have experience of representing finance at financial review meetings (or equivalent) and presenting financial information to Operational Directors.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to:
- Be proficient in MS Office applications with an advanced knowledge of Excel and be highly numerate with strong analytical skills.
- Be able to make decisions and recommendations while maintaining independence and professionalism at all times; as well as being adaptable & flexible and willing to visit and work from key sites across the business.
- Be pro-active and diligent in approach, be willing to undertake challenging tasks sometimes beyond your 'comfort zone' and be able to work to tight timescales, under pressure and deliver to a high standard.
- Be confident and articulate with the willingness to challenge and support colleagues and the business in a constructive manner.
- Have an appropriate accounting qualification (ICAS, ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW or CIPFA) in an equivalent role.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Francesca on email@example.com / 01738 344763.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.