Cable Layer / Utility Groundworker
Location: Isle of Wight
Job Type: Full time
About the Role
Base Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight
Salary: £26,609 - £30,472 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Cable Layer / Utility Groundworker to join our Reinstatement team in the Isle of Wight.
- This is a hands-on role and you will be responsible for the groundworks / reinstatement of SSE excavations to Code of Practice and reduce our contractor expenditure.
- You'll work as part of a team, working on excavation projects as well as reinstating excavations in highways and private sites which are necessary to maintain our distribution network, ensuring good team communication and that safe working practices are adhered to at all times.
- Working outside in all weather conditions, and to strict timescales, setting up sites with Street Works Legislation. Your work must comply with the regulations we abide by, and you'll be able to deliver excellent customer service where reactive maintenance is required.
- This is a physically demanding role, involving extensive reinstatement works on the highway and private land.
- Working closely with your manager, you may also be asked to assist with Cable Laying responsibilities as well as other ad hoc projects.
What Do I Need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Tickets including NRSWA Street works.
- Some experience with Groundworks/Reinstating techniques including Tarmac, modular services, slabs and concrete.
- HGV licence and experience of driving a Hotbox or Grab/HIAB lorry, is desirable.
- Experience of working on public highways involving setting up and taking down temporary traffic signals to the code of practice and working alongside hotbox, concrete, and grab lorries.
- Due to the nature of this role, you'll be asked to take part in standby duties, responding to faults overnight and at weekends as part of a rota so you should be flexible with your time.
Please note, that for this role a full driving licence is required.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. You'll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger – an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Robert on Robert.Clark@sse.com / 01738 341105.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.