Warner Bros. Discovery
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
The Technical Manager is responsible for ensuring the seamless technical delivery of live broadcast events that are produced from the WBD Sport Studio facilities. These new facilities consist of Studios, Galleries and Sound Control rooms, Commentary Booths and Multi-Function Rooms which are operatorial 365 days a year in West London.
The Technical Manager takes the lead role on-site as the primary contact for the production team and crew during the set up and delivery of live events. You are responsible for the planning, organising and delivering the studio and gallery production, ensuring the production is delivered to the highest standards.
A key focus of this role is to provide technical operational support and guidance to our production partners by understanding fully their requirements and interpreting those needs to ensure successful delivery of live events.
This role is shift based to cover the production's broadcast schedule, You will work across a range of disciplines from studio shows, cloud production, to galley only events. You will champion the delivery of a wide range of sports including Champion League football, Grand Slam Tennis, Motorsports, Cycling Grand Tours and the Olympic games. From time to time there may be requirements to work on location internationally.
● Accountable and responsible for the technical standards of output
● Responsible for studio safety including the management of risk assessments and studio sign off.
● Oversee the rig and operation of technical equipment in studios and galleries ensuring cameras, vision systems, AR/VR, lighting, replay machines are set and ready for production in a timely manner.
● Work in partnership with clients to interpret production requirements, support plans for execution and communicate these needs to wider teams.
● Supervisor in charge on the day of crew and staff within the studio environment.
● Deliver technical schematic explainers and associated documentation as required
● Work in partnership with the Bookings team and Production Management team, to ensure efficient utilisation of all technical and human resources
Key point of contact for upcoming productions and on program days
● Central point of contact for engineering in terms of production requirements / fault finding and escalation process.
● Oversee upgrades and testing of all broadcast and corporate systems as necessary
● Efficient management of equipment failure to ensure minimal disruption to transmissions
● Provide daily Tech Logs for each production and track any ongoing issue to resolution.
● Actively monitor the operational crew’s performance, ensuring the department is maintaining the highest standard of delivery and both staff and team goals are achieved.
● Drive forward system and software development needs for the facility, overseeing testing, implementation, and relevant training with relevant engineering and audio teams.
● Promote sharing of best practice and process change opportunities to support an efficient and effective department.
● Other duties as required
● Thorough understanding and extensive knowledge of the sports production process and technical requirements needed to deliver Studio and Gallery production, gained from experience as a Technical, Studio or Unit Manager.
● Proven ability to successfully form and manage relationships with production partners and clients in an international environment
● Experiences of managing a broadcasting / PCR team, with full understanding of shift-based work and freelancer support network.
● A strong communicator who can influence others. Able to deliver key information in a timely and accurate manner to a range of stakeholders, and at all levels.
● Track record of technical excellence with a willingness and ability to take part in developing business opportunities
● Demonstrably assertive, able to handle conflict effectively, calmly and diplomatically
● Working Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation, policies and standards: Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA), Risk Assessments, COSSH, Working at Height, Electricity at Work, Noise, Manual Handling.
● Proactive in troubleshooting, problem solving and avoidance of issues
● Adaptable and flexible in a challenging, demanding and fast-paced environment
● Strong team player and solid interpersonal skills
● Understanding of the design and operation of complex broadcast IP and cloud systems infrastructure is an advantage.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.If you’re a qualified candidate and you require adjustments or accommodations to search for a job opening or apply for a position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.