Laboratory Technician - Proteins
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
For over 20 years, Abcam has been providing tools the scientific community needs to enable faster breakthroughs in critical areas like cancer, neurological disorders, infectious diseases, and metabolic disorders.
We believe that to continue making progress, we need to work together in new ways. We need your own unique perspective as well as this of our people to make an always greater impact on the world. This community needs people like you: dedicated, agile and above all audacious so we can truly bring progress forward.
Abcam is looking for a Lab Technician to join our team in Waltham MA, working to support the Protein Science team in the development of standalone recombinant products at Abcam. The goal of this product line is to deliver outstanding products to our customers and help Abcam achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Perform routine laboratory tasks, including glass wash, autoclaving, media and buffer preparation, centrifugation, ordering/inventory management, and vialing/labeling of protein samples.
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Communicate clearly with team members within the Protein Sciences Group, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation as for activities.
- Document procedures and processes in laboratory notebooks and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support and foster a safe and efficient working environment within the Laboratory and ensure the safety of colleagues and visitors and adhere to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the facility is compliant with all internal and external quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
The minimum qualifications for the ideal candidate entail either possessing an Associate's degree coupled with at least one year of relevant experience or holding a high school diploma along with an impressive five years of experience in academia or industry. On the other hand, preferred qualifications for this role include prior industrial experience, particularly in a laboratory context. Moreover, an exemplary track record of excelling in dynamic, high-paced environments is highly favored.
The candidate should demonstrate strong motivation, a positive and enthusiastic team-oriented mindset, and exceptional problem-solving abilities. Furthermore, attributes such as diligence and self-motivation are highly regarded. Lastly, excellent communication and organizational skills are considered essential for success in this role.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why, in addition to market competitive salaries, we offer you a flexible benefits package which is tailored to your unique needs and support your financial, physical and emotional wellbeing. This includes our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks fully paid maternity leave, 6 weeks fully paid paternity leave as well as highly flexible working and much more. Besides, your development will be integral to your experience here. You will grow alongside other talented minds, in ways you may often find unexpected.
When people come together, incredible things happen. Here you’ll work in a safe environment where you can be who you truly are. We’ll champion and celebrate your uniqueness throughout your journey with us. This is how we excel at partnering with the scientific community no matter the challenge, ultimately helping solve the world’s most critical diseases. Find out more about Diversity & Inclusion at Abcam.