Product Owner III
Location: Columbus, Georgia
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $70,000 - $160,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Is knowledgeable about the product and product domain and able to transfer ideas into valuable features
- Passionate agile practitioner with advanced understanding of agile values and principles with demonstrated success in their application.
- Demonstrated knowledge of product discovery practices including human-centered design, design thinking, brainstorming approaches, and advanced facilitation techniques.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, ownership and commitment for deliverables
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, enthusiastic and assertive
- Experience working with and understanding the needs of customers both internal and external
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or related field
- Six or more years of work experience in product development, business analysis or project management
- Product ownership of at least three end to end product deliveries
- Must have completed and received certification in the 2.0 Product Owner Enablement Program offered by the Enterprise Agility Office
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Certified Product Owner (CSPO)
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Represent customers and users primarily for creation of complex new products or product suites
- Understands and has frequent contact with the customer
- Works closely with the team being available for questions and clarifications on a daily basis
- Create the Vision and Release Roadmap for the product(s) or product suite and be able to articulate these across multiple teams and stakeholders
- Create Release Plan and Release Goals across multiple teams focusing on delivering the highest value to the customer
- Create Sprint Goals along with the team to be able to show working software to the customer at the end of each sprint
- Owns Product Backlog by creating portfolio level work items and user stories and prioritizing based on business value
- Facilitate requirements gathering and story refinement workshops
- Rank portfolio items/user stories in consultation with the Agile team(s)
- Accept/reject finished user stories, and features based on acceptance criteria and ensure sprint/release goals are met
- Track the overall progress of the initiative towards goals and ROI (Return On Investment)
- Collaborate with other Product Owners in a Community of Practice to work toward continuous improvement in the role, help others improve with the goal of helping the organization deliver highest value, highest quality products to the customer faster
- Work and collaborate with other Product Owners to identify and address cross-team dependencies and impacts
- Helps key stakeholders to better understand the product by supporting the Product Owner
- May manage a team of Product Owners for large strategic initiatives
- Provide mentorship and guidance to Product Owners
- Able to understand and articulate the big picture to leadership levels as well as team members
- High level of business expertise needed to set priorities and understand business value impact
- Communicate with a diverse set of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong influencing skills in interfacing with the business stakeholders
- Identify and address cross-initiative dependencies and impacts
- Focus on continuous improvement for the product suite
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $160,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.