Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $115,000 - $260,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Farmington, CT or this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Farmington, CT, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Ability to analyze and present financial information
- Ability to compile and categorize statistical data and supervise the preparation of reports
- Ability to develop computer systems to perform various financial analysis and to assist others in these tasks
- Demonstrated ability to apply operations management and business process re-engineering tools and techniques to a wide variety of business techniques
- Excellent presentation, oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact with Aflac’s senior management, and internal and external business contacts
- Ability to exhibit and maintain professionalism in accordance with corporate standards
- Strong project management, leadership, and practice development skills
- Ability to explain and teach complicated actuarial concepts to other actuaries and non-actuaries
- Has large impact on Actuarial and/or Risk management organization due to combination of functional competencies and quality/quantity of work output
- Actuarial Competencies
- Technical Knowledge & Skill – Expert Performs data analysis, synthesizes it into something meaningful, and develops materials and presentation of findings. Understands data limitations and considers influence of business processes, market segmentation strategies, and industry factors on analysis. Identify, set, and defend actuarial and financial assumptions; develop, enhance, and deliver actuarial and financial models that effectively evaluate risk.
- Project Management – Expert Can effectively lead projects, including those with cross-functional accountabilities. Highly responsive to dynamic business needs while partnering with other functional or operational areas. Identifies and initiates projects suggested by business needs or strategies and reprioritizes work/seeks resources as necessary.
- Communication – Comprehensive Understand and explain business issues and potential solutions in a way that results in informed decision making. Proactively and routinely seeks out business partners to provide timely summary of practice area results. Has clear examples of delivering business concepts and messaging to a wide variety of audiences.
- Business Knowledge & Acumen – Comprehensive Aligns actuarial analysis and findings with the broader goals of the organization. Understands all of Aflac's products and business functions. Looks at problems from the overall business framework, rather than only a technical framework, and links the technical actuarial analysis to the bottom line.
- Delivers Results – Comprehensive Develops projects, plans, and priorities that are consistent with business initiatives and goals. Consistently achieves results, personally and through others that contribute business value. Develops actions that lead to stated business goals based on actuarial or financial findings.
- Develops Self & Others – Comprehensive Steps outside actuarial competencies and develops broader business acumen -- goes beyond the technical aspect of a problem. Creates valued business partnerships based on consulting advice provided; seeks out opportunities to mentor others. Participates in new and challenging work experiences outside of one's own functional area.
- Influencing – Comprehensive Interprets business and technical information in a way that influences key decision makers / stakeholders. Drives discussions on meaningful business issues and potential solutions with external partners. Demonstrates the ability to build agreement, commitment, cooperation, and enthusiasm for recommendations -- even with difficult messages.
- Makes Effective Decisions – Comprehensive Provides timely analysis to reach a recommendation, even with incomplete data; not averse to simply approximate an answer. Includes others in decision making as warranted to obtain good input and ensure buy-in for decisions. Evaluates options by considering implications and consequences -- makes decisions outside the bounds of "the way it's always been done”.
- Values Driven Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions. Listens with respect and objectivity even when others' opinions conflict with one's own. Adheres to standards of professional conduct
- Builds Talent – Advanced Develops staff or others with the competencies of business leaders, not just subject matter experts. Provides cross-functional project or mentoring opportunities. Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet Aflac's aggressive business goals.
- Engages Employees to the Vision – Advanced Ensures that others understand their roles in achieving area and business priorities. Inspires others to act in alignment with financial and corporate goals and initiatives. Involves employees in decision making, milestone setting, timely one-on-ones, and key business information.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in actuarial science, mathematics, computer science, or a related field
- An FSA designation from the SOA required
- Ten years of experience working in the actuarial field
- Actuarial exerience in the group disability/absence management industry
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Less than or equal to 10%
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops pricing strategy, experience analysis tools, competitive pricing tools, best estimate assumptions, and portfolio initiatives for Group Life, Disability, and/or Leave of Absence products
- Develops and communicates data-driven analysis to ensure products are designed, priced, and managed in a manner consistent with strategic objectives for the PLADS Aflac division
- Demonstrates expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures; relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Provides consultation on complex projects; a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
- Assists with the development of long-range visionary strategic objectives for the organizational division; works with managers or other staff members to meet schedules, resolve problems or provide guidance
- Reviews and interprets performance against operating plans and standards for assigned segment of the Actuarial Division; presents reports on performance; develops and presents matters requiring decisions to key management team for the division
- Stays abreast of current trends and best practices related to a segment of the Actuarial Division; recommends improvements in processes and procedures to achieve business goals; participates in key management activities and committees; maintains appropriate communications within area of responsibility, advising division senior management accordingly
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $115,000 - $260,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.