Executive Communications Director
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Los Angeles, California, New York, New York, Portland, Oregon, Redmond, Washington, San Francisco, California, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
The Modern Life, Search & Devices (MLS&D) team is responsible for the consumer-facing products of Microsoft, including Windows, Surface, Microsoft 365, Edge and Bing. With the mission to redefine personal productivity and help people make the most of their time, the team is focused on delivering experiences that empower people to be productive, learn, connect, and create wherever they are.
We’re looking for a high impact Executive Communications Director to drive the communications strategy for Corporate Vice President, Yusuf Mehdi. This is a unique, strategic role that requires a proven ability to deliver outstanding results in an ambiguous, high-pressure environment. Key focus areas of this role include delivering first-class, consistent internal and external communications based on proactive planning and annual rhythm. This includes creative visual storytelling through multiple mediums, designing speaking opportunities and internal team experiences, senior leadership team meetings and cross-company communications, as well as growing social media impact. Each project requires ensuring proper reviews are conducted from initial ideation to final execution.
The candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication, experience working with executives, strong industry background, and great partnership skills. A successful applicant will be able to demonstrate high impact communications with a successful track record leading and collaborating across organizations. Ideal candidates will be able to give clear examples of impact and influence, delivering results and a demonstration of how those results were achieved, as well as demonstrating leadership ability under tight deadlines. Applicants will also be comfortable working self-sufficiently and successfully influencing peers and executives.
- Developing and delivering the communications strategy for the Corporate Vice President.
- Creating an all-up communications approach and story arc, allowing clarity and consistency of message combined with development of the CVP’s external image.
- Developing and executing an internal employee communications strategy, partnering with key internal teams to ensure that the MLS&D strategy is well communicated and infused throughout all employee communications.
- Defining goals and metrics for the successful execution of the strategy.
- Developing executive presentations and speeches from inception to finished product including creative elements such as videos and interactive content that reinforce key messages, news, and brand image. Great storytelling is a must.
- Building an external social media strategy for the CVP to extend the thought leadership platform and amplify our voice to customers, partners, press, and analysts.
- Collaborating across marketing, corporate executive communications and other groups as appropriate to ensure communications themes are aligned with company and MLS&D marketing objectives, and broadly with executive communications leadership across Microsoft.
- Researching and documenting best practices for Microsoft executive and employee communications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Finance, or related field AND 6+ years Communications, Marketing Operations, Field Operations, Program Management, Project Management, or related experience
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Communications, and/or Product Marketing and Management.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including a deep understanding of messaging and positioning, and creative storytelling via multiple mediums.
- High level of executive maturity and experience working with VPs and above.
- Proven ability to produce high quality written communications and presentations under tight timelines and be able to work under pressure managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding cross-group collaboration and proven ability to drive initiatives across diverse groups and multi-national teams.
- A passion for technology and the ability to translate complex ideas into simple, clear prose.
- Curiosity, self-awareness, and a desire to test and learn, using data as a success metric.
- Outstanding leadership and deep and unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.