Product Designer 2
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
We’re seeking a Product Designer 2 to join a new design systems & UX platform team powering SharePoint, SharePoint Syntex, Viva Connections, Viva Topics and more! Our products drive employee engagement, culture, and communication in a hybrid world for hundreds of thousands of organizations and millions of people worldwide.
In this role, you'll integrate and advance the Microsoft Fluent Design System in SharePoint and build innovative new system capabilities on top of this foundation. You'll work on a design-to-code system that empowers internal teams and external developers to be more productive and craft beautiful software, in part by creating new capabilities around typography, color, motion, and more.
You’re passionate about design systems, a committed advocate for the end user, and a seasoned communicator. You come alive when people talk about craft, you love engaging with others in the design systems community, and you are dedicated to growing talented teams. Finally, you love working across disciplines and collaborating with other teams to bring about the best outcome.
This is a rare opportunity to have both meaningful impact on the design and development of a family of products and be part of establishing a new team, impacting team culture, process, collaboration and more.
Our Studio is a diverse team of designers, researchers, and UX Engineers who partner closely with PM, Engineering, Marketing, and other disciplines. We are a high-performing team that challenges ourselves to live the Microsoft philosophies around inclusive culture and growth mindset. We embrace the Microsoft Model, Coach, Care management framework and support the growth of each individual on the team.
We have a proven track record of delivering strong business results. Much of our team is local to Redmond, Washington, but we also partner closely with our teams in India, China and new teams in Atlanta & Vancouver, Canada. We re-use rather than reinvent. We contribute to each other’s work to make it better. We like to have fun, celebrate our wins, and learn and grow from our mistakes.
We focus on creating an inclusive workplace where all people and ideas are welcome. To this end, we have created local mentoring rings and communities where we can learn from each other and grow. We focus on having inclusive interactions that foster open dialog. We are dedicated to the work of creating a strong, inclusive, and transparent culture – a safe place to do our best work!
This team supports our employees in all locations around the country. This job has the option to be remote or located in one of our hubs.
- Produce highly detailed design specifications to help everyone understand how the component should be built and function (taking accessibility, interaction, visual guidelines into consideration).
- Work closely and constructively with product management, visual and interaction designers, editors, engineers and user researchers to create and deliver world class components, patterns, and design documentation.
- Advocate for your design solutions by putting them in context of business and user goals; advocate for the design system by working closely with other designers and stakeholders to demonstrate its value and the advantage of using it.
- Produce hands-on demos, videos, and presentations as well as work 1:1; guide designers on how to adopt new controls into features.
- Deliver world-class interaction and visual designs from initial concept through to shipping.
- Solve complex design problems in simple and intuitive ways, that blend brand personality, visual, motion, and sound to create delightful experiences.
- Embody our culture and values. Drive for excellence while never losing sight of the human side of the equation and what it means to be a great teammate and partner.
- An up-to-date portfolio and/or work samples demonstrating your design process (UX flows, interaction patterns, visual design, etc).
- Please include URLs (+ credentials, if applicable) for an online portfolio
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field and 3+ years’ experience working in product or service design – or equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems).
- Experience working in Figma; experience in building and maintaining components a plus but not a prerequisite.
- Passion for frameworks and design systems with experience in developing patterns and components for applications and/or OS-level experiences.
- Command of visual design approaches as applied to create appealing, delightful design with strong visual hierarchy.
- Ability to create and prototype design stories that articulate the desired user experience to the project team and stakeholders.
- User-centric approach to design and an understanding of how to partner with Research and apply user research data.
- Passion for design and ability to effectively share your point of view and expertise through compelling storytelling with project team members and other designers in daily forums.
- Active interest in user experience issues and trends, and ability to connect learnings to your work.
- Working understanding of HTML and experience with agile engineering methods; experience in prototyping + HTML, JS, and/or React is preferred, but not required.
- Solid verbal/ written communication and presentation skills.
- Great project management skills, proactive with own deadlines, scheduling and time management.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- CSS experience
- Graphic/visual design experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field and 5+ years’ related work experience working in product or service design
- OR Master's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field and 3+ year(s) relevant internship/work experience working in product or service design
- OR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems).
#SharePoint #SharePointDesign #MicrosoftDesign #Fluent #MDS
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.