Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
NFP is a seven-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. We’re a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 7,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions. To learn more, please visit: https://www.NFP.com.
Summary of Role:
The primary function of the Accounting Manager is to manage the financial close process for all firms on the East Coast. The Accounting Manager will oversee general ledger activities of the East Coast accounting department. Additionally, this position will coordinate with and support the Producer Commission department. Finally, the Accounting Manager will play a pivotal role in integrating acquisitions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the monthly close process to ensure that financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare financial statements complete with period over period (monthly and annual) variance analysis.
- Manage accounting and finance personnel across the general ledger department.
- Lead acquisition related activities as they relate to finance and accounting duties.
- Coordinate with corporate accounting counterparts to manage and complete all audit requests for the region.
- Provide strategic advice to the East Coast Controller and Assistant Controller on operational efficiencies, financial policies, and business strategy.
- Manage ad hoc or project work as it relates to critical accounting and finance initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Must have general knowledge and understanding of insurance agency/brokerage business or related; professional services and/or consulting type firms.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as well as financial management functions.
- Strong with financial processes and systems; sales collection cycles, general ledger systems, high proficiency as an MS Excel user, etc.
- Exceptional interpersonal, employee development, performance management and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively manage a financial accounting monthly close at a high level, overseeing staff at remote locations.
- Demonstrated ability to learn the business and have a business and customer centric approach to finance and accounting leadership.
- Ability to collaborate and develop strong relationships with all levels of personnel within the organization.
- Must be a well-organized self-starter with a positive outlook and a strong work ethic; one that can effectively articulate a vision and deliver results with integrity.
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of 4 years finance and accounting experience in a rapidly growing organization with at least 2 years in a managerial position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Financing or Accounting required; MBA or CPA a plus.
- Must have prior experience with corporate or business unit financial leadership, P&L, and balance sheet responsibility.
What We Offer
We're proud to offer a competitive salary, PTO & paid holidays, 401(k) with match, exclusive discount programs, health & wellness programs, and more. Our PeopleFirst culture focuses on building and nurturing lifelong relationships with our employees because, at the end of the day, we exist to be there for others.
NFP and You... Better together!
NFP is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.