Intern - Financial Data & Billing
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
Covala Group (part of NFP Corp) is a proven enroller and administrator of voluntary, supplemental and individual disability benefits for large employers. Since 1993 we have connected employees of our clients to over $4.5 billion of income protection. We have also assisted Fortune 500 companies in the development and implementation of group life insurance, corporate owned life insurance, and long-term care programs. Our name, Covala, was inspired by the covalent bond, the strongest type of chemical bond there is. Covala embodies our dedication to forming powerful bonds with our clients and plan participants — connecting them to the benefits they need and the service they deserve.
The Intern position on the Billing Team is an integral part of a 5-person team. The role is central within the organization and is responsible for keeping the carriers up to date with employee changes and supporting the Billing Team in their day-to-day activities.
The individual in this position will participate in company-wide projects that involve working with different teams. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual to contribute meaningfully to a growing business and gain valuable experience.
Key personality traits for success include high energy and drive, the ability to work on a team and a questioning mind. The position is hybrid and intern should be available to work between 15 to 25hours/week. During the first three months of employment, the individual will be expected to be in the office up to three days a week for training. After the initial three-month period, their schedule will be determined based on their manager’s discretion.
- Prepare and send employee status listings for terminated employees to different insurance carriers.
- Download bill, remittance, and other billing files from various clients, via sFTP (NFP, WinSCP, Client Based Servers), Egnyte, SharePoint, Client Secure Sites, or E-mail.
- Notify the Billing Team on a weekly basis of remittance file progress and notify them of any files that need urgent review.
- Generate backups needed by carriers to apply payment to inforce policies.
- Responsible for updating the internal database with new financial data.
- Assist the Billing Team in other team projects as necessary.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Attention to detail
- A high level of accountability and ownership of work
- Ability to work on a fast-paced team with specific deadlines
- Resourcefulness and ability to consult others to get a job done
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks and manage time
- A team-oriented, friendly collaborative attitude
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel skills
- Ability to work between 15-20hours/week in hybrid environment
- Working on a degree in business administration is a plus
- Office located in the heart of Lower Manhattan (Financial District)
- Option to work remotely (equipment provided)
We’re part of NFP, a seven-time Best Places to Work award winner in Business Insurance who has also earned the 5-Star Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) award from Insurance Business magazine and the WORK180 employer endorsement. We’re a recognized Elite Agency award winner and a leading property and casualty broker, benefits consultant, wealth manager, and retirement plan advisor. NFP provides solutions enabling client success through the expertise of over 8,000 global employees, investments in innovative technologies, and enduring relationships with highly rated insurers, vendors and financial institutions. To learn more, please visit: https://www.NFP.com.
The hourly rate for this position is $18.00 per hour. The hourly rate offered will be determined by factors including, but not limited to, experience, credentials, education, certifications, skill level required for the position, the scope of the position, and geographic location. Actual hourly rate offered will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
NFP and You... Better together!
NFP and Covala Group is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer.