Trust and Safety Senior Specialist
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in every U.S. county
- 80 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 10 million 5-star reviews fand counting
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- 1000+ employees
- $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Trust and Safety Team
The Trust and Safety team is a tight knit, highly-skilled team that is dedicated to supporting our users experiencing Trust and Safety concerns. The team stands at the forefront of investigating project and safety-related reports from our customers and pros, mediating disputes, and taking appropriate action on issues that are integral to Thumbtacks' mission and longevity by ensuring our customers and pros are supported and our marketplace standards are upheld.
About the Role
To ensure a great user experience and long-term growth, trust and safety are the foundation of everything we do. As a part of the Trust & Safety Team, you will have the opportunity to work on some of Thumbtack's most exciting and challenging issues. You will work as the front-line on matters integral to Thumbtack’s mission and longevity by ensuring our marketplace standards and policies are upheld. On this team, you will be part of a tight-knit group that works on ensuring that fraudulent activities on our platform are caught and prevented. By doing so, you help ensure that Thumbtack continues to be a safe space for all our pros and customers.
- Works on tasks that are designed to catch spam, reduce fraud, increase adherence to the Terms of Service, and improve trust and safety on the Thumbtack platform, including but not limited to:
- Reviews pro profile and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality pros to our customers
- Reviews customer profiles and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality leads/customers to our pros
- Makes sure users adhere to Thumbtack’s Terms of Service and takes appropriate actions against users who violate the Terms of Service
- Proactively identifies user accounts and user activities to catch and flag fraud, scam, and other Terms-of-Service (TOS) violations in the marketplace
- Investigates and researches complex fraud cases
- Identifies and raises suspicious and unusual fraud trends and activities on the platform
- Reviews the reports received from users and takes appropriate action
- Reports unusual and/or unexpected behavior of the machine models/rules
- Reinforces Thumbtack’s Terms of Service
- Works with the manager to further improve our Trust & Safety policies by surfacing process and product deficiencies and providing recommendations
- Resolves issues through the proper escalation of cases
- Assists in the completion of special and ad-hoc projects
- Participates and assists in the completion of Marketplace Trust and Safety special projects
- Upholds the values of Thumbtack
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in the BPO, shared services or similar industry.
- Experience working in trust & safety, content moderation, and/or fraud detection is strongly preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to use professional judgment when interpreting findings.
- Strong aptitude for research, navigation and investigation.
- Exceptional English communication (verbal, writing, and email writing) skills.
- The ability to work days, mids or graveyard shifts and rotating rest days.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience working in operations or projects which involve supporting and resolving issues in online communities, eCommerce or online marketplaces, consumer app products, case management, incident handling, and/or user to user mediation
- Experience working in different channels (email, chat, phone) or any similar industry
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (optional use collaboration & connection hubs)in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.