Sr. Engineering Manager
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day. We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
American Express entered the travel agency business in 1915, and today is one of the world’s largest luxury travel and lifestyle service networks. The Travel & Lifestyle Services (TLS) business provides exclusive access, differentiated value, extraordinary service, and unrivalled expertise to Card Members seeking leisure or business travel, as well as a variety of lifestyle services. The Global Digital Customer Experience is a strategic focus area for growth within Travel and Lifestyle Services and there is significant continuing investment to transform and optimize our digital proposition and capabilities. American Express Travel Online not only drives direct revenue and cost savings but also plays an important role in overall Card product engagement, loyalty and satisfaction.
We are looking for a skilled and hands-on Sr. Engineering Manager to lead two engineering scrum teams. The front end and back end teams are responsible for building and maintaining the TLS Membership business domain to fetch all card members eligibilities and benefits, and to build the global profile user interface, front end personalization, cross sell presentment and ownership of common UI asset.
The Sr. Engineering Manager actively provides people-leadership, deep technical knowledge and contributes to the engineering team that will design, develop, test, troubleshoot, debug, deploy, document, and ensure reliability and availability for the software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user tools and applications.
The ideal leader must be:
- willing and able to express new ideas, concerns, and opinions directly to the direct team and wider
- proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven
- adaptable to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
- proficient collaborator and communicator
- Hands-on engineer with expertise in developing complex, large scale enterprise applications
- Responsible for technical aspects of software engineering for assigned applications including design, developing prototypes, and coding assignments
- Partners with customers and other internal teams and technical product managers to deliver improvements to the platform
- Establish and accepts responsibility for engineering practices across teams for example the code review, build and release process and the effectiveness of the retrospective
- Empower teams to automate demand driven scalable application deployments in test or production environments
- Apply specialized knowledge of industry standards or practices to assigned initiatives to identify complex and or broad problems and issues and formulate recommendations
- Collaborates with leadership across teams to define solutions, technical implementation to drive software maturity and practices
- People Leader to software engineering team, including colleagues and contractors, dotted line leadership to sr. engineering colleagues in team(s)
- Promote, empower, and practice servant-leadership
- Drives the team’s technical improvements and roadmap
- Takes accountability for the technical maturity of the team
- Mentor and guide team members to success; identify strengths and areas for growth in direct reports and guides them to grow in their careers while being more productive on the team
- Nurture an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Hire top talent for the team
Essential Criteria – Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of active engineering – preferred full stack. Experienced with Java 17 and above, Spring, GraphQL, No SQL Databases,
- 2+ years leadership experience in a complex technical environment and/or comparable experience
- Successful design, creation and deployment of one or more enterprise-grade technology assets, including integration of cross-platform solutions in an Agile product environment
- Experience with agile software development methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories
- Experienced ability to set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Hands on experience with automation testing and documentation (i.e. automated, functional, and performance)
Essential Criteria – Technical Skills
- Full Stack Engineering
- Backend API Engineering
- Deep knowledge of the GraphQL specification, understanding of schema design, resolver logic, and seamless integration with various data sources
- Experienced in programming, testing, and application design for microservices using Java 17 and above or Kotlin, Spring and build automation with Maven or Gradle.
- Experience with no-SQL database – CouchBaseDB
- Front End Engineering
- Observability – Logging, Monitoring & Alerting Strategy & Implementation using Amex’s Enterprise Logging Framework, Dynatrace, Tealeaf, Kibana
- Deep Knowledge of cloud and CI/CD technologies, and how to get code into production quickly and reliably.
We back our colleagues and their loved ones with benefits and programs that support their holistic well-being. That means we prioritize their physical, financial, and mental health through each stage of life. Benefits include:
- Competitive base salaries
- Bonus incentives
- Support for financial-well-being and retirement
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits (depending on location)
- Flexible working model with hybrid, onsite or virtual arrangements depending on role and business need
- Generous paid parental leave policies (depending on your location)
- Free access to global on-site wellness centers staffed with nurses and doctors (depending on location)
- Free and confidential counseling support through our Healthy Minds program
- Career development and training opportunities
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.