Associate Director, Analytical Development
Location: Cheshire East
Job Type: Full time
Date open: 17/11/2013
Date close: 04/12/2023
We're currently seeking an Associate Director, Analytical Development to join the team. This position is great for those who want to continuously learn and try new things, come and embrace the varied opportunities on offer. This is the place to build a meaningful career as we push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) is the bridge that turns forward-thinking science into medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to commercial. We also develop and establish robust and reliable commercial manufacturing processes that ensure we can supply life changing medicines to patients across the world.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen within our Chemical Development organisation in PT&D for an experienced line manager. We are accountable for the design, manufacture and commercialisation of our drug substance portfolio including all supporting science and technology programmes. You will lead a team of highly skilled analytical scientists designing, developing and commercialising the next wave of our products. Your team of scientists will support all aspects of analytical method development, control strategy and regulatory submission authoring. As a member of the extended leadership team you will also contribute to the strategic growth of the global analytical skill group and the wider chemical development organisation.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership and mentoring to your team ensuring the effective design and development of drug substances and analytical methods for clinical and commercial operations.
- Have technical responsibility and fiscal oversight for the analytical development aspects of a portfolio of drug projects. The drug projects will be for the small molecule portfolio and also will potentially include projects from the oligonucleotide, peptide and more complex modalities. Drive the use of best practice and ensure that internal and external resourcing is delivered within governance expectations.
- Set clear and stretching goals for team members aligned to project deliverables and strategic priorities ensuring progress against agreed plans.
- Work collaboratively across the multiple fields in Chemical Development to deliver against projects and drive new scientific approaches.
- Drive talent development alongside your colleagues. Using development discussions, coaching and mentoring to accelerate the development of individuals within your team and support opportunities for growth of key talent across the organisation.
- Champion using lean tools, best practice and innovative approaches (for example advanced modelling and simulation, digital design) to improve efficiency, facilitate problem solving and improve the sustainability of our developmental portfolio and commercial products.
- Ensure all activities align with AstraZeneca Pharmaceutical Quality System, and Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) standards.
- Be a visible role model for our Values and champion an inclusive culture. Ensure individuals are supported to speak up and share their opinions and ideas to help contribute to the overall success of the organisation and create a great working environment.
- Use your expert technical knowledge along with an understanding of stakeholder management and strong positive leadership & influencing skills to have a broad impact across multidisciplinary teams
- All these activities will have a significant impact on the speed, quality and cost of our development portfolio, the sustainability of the existing portfolio of commercial products and the effectiveness of the chemical development organisation.
- BSc/PhD level education in a relevant subject area (such as Chemistry, Analytical Science)
- Significant relevant post graduate experience working within a Research & Development environment within the pharmaceutical industry with expert knowledge of CMC analytical characterisation/control and technology.
- A detailed understanding of the drug development process and the product life cycle and how chemical development contributes to it.
- Experience of the subject areas within pharmaceutical development and how they work together to deliver the best outcomes.
- Experience of leading analytical teams in the development and commercialisation of drug substance processes.
- Skilled in effective communication
- Working knowledge of other departments who contribute to the drug development process and the inter-relationships with chemical development.
- Experience of working with external companies/partners to deliver business goals.
- A proven track record of using coaching, mentoring and other leadership tools to build impactful teams and develop individual talent
- A detailed understanding of the principles and management of SHE and cGMP.
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working give us the platform we need to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of three days per week from the office. But that doesn’t mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility. Join us in our unique and ambitious world.
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being an outstanding Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your high-reaching spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and partnership, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Competitive salary and benefits.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.