Energetics Enclosure Magazine Manager
Job Type: Full time
About the job
We are looking for a dedicated and driven individual to work within Dstl’s Energetics Enclosure. The individual will advise the team on regulations for explosive storage and movements utilising a background in energetics; a good working knowledge of MOD Explosives Regulations is required to ensure compliance is met and maintained.
The individual will plan, manage and oversee the work of the Magazine Supervisors and Magazine Workers. They will ensure accurate accounting and safe storage of energetics, they will manage and process receipt and issue of ammunition and explosives and work with the Work Place Manager to ensure compliance with site maintenance requirements.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female, ethnic minority and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will:
- Planning and Scheduling – Supporting the resourcing of the wider EE team with your TL. Lead, implement and produce schedules to plan and delegate work ensuring energetic and site requirements are accommodated.
- Technical – Act as the competent local expert provide in-depth technical knowledge and manage the day-to-day running of the safe storage, movement and accounting of energetic materials.
- Monitoring and reporting – Take control of and resolve technical issues promptly, Ensure tasks are completed to the time and quality agreed with management through organisation of site workers. Understand when to raise an issue to a higher authority.
- Administration - Ensure data and facilities are maintained to the level of security required; ensuring Magazine Supervisors and Magazine Workers do the same.
- Day to Day - As well as managing the rota and day-to-day tasks, you may participate in out of hours support and call out requirement. Monitoring shelf life of stores through stocktakes and spot-checks and demonstrate a high personal commitment to all matters relating to health and safety.
- Stakeholder – Field technical queries from Stakeholders, Magazine Supervisor and Workers and regularly keep stakeholders and teams informed of progress with tasks using the appropriate format, facilitating two-way communication in a timely manner.
- Risks and Issues - Ensure Magazine Supervisors and Magazine Workers understand and comply with all safety and security procedures to ensure the correct receipt, storage, issue and movement of ammunition and explosives.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience and in depth knowledge of regulations surrounding energetics.
- An interest and aptitude to support Team Leader and provide best practice.
- Excellent organisation and communications skills to a wide range of stakeholders
- Previous experience of managing teams, delegating and organising rotas.
- Previous experience of managing energetic storage requirements including accurate record keeping of Explosive, Munition and Energetic Material holdings and a good understanding of facility maintenance requirements.
- The ability to prioritise effectively and to make sound decisions whilst working under pressure.
- The ability to recognise, communicate and implement changes where records and documentation need updating and modifying.
- Proven track record of effective team working and managing others.
- Is comfortable working outside in all weathers (appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and clothing will be provided).
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Energetic Storage ManagementThe role holder should have experience working in an energetic storage environment, and associated managerial responsibilities. They will have an in-depth knowledge of safety processes and a proven experience in work relati
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Options include alternative working patterns such as; compressed hours (e.g. working a 4 day week/ 9 day fortnight), job shares and annualised hours (agreed number of hours per annum paid monthly i.e. working term-time only).
Working hours: Flexibility around your working day (e.g. start time, finish time). Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Where you work: Depending on your role, blended working may be available including remote working to suit you and your team. This can be discussed at interview.
Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Sifting will comprise of a single sift, taking place on the 27th November with interviews to be arranged for the w/c 11th December 2023.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.