Rail Management Accountant
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
Our commitment to you, once you join our team, is to foster growth and provide developmental opportunities to ensure you reach your utmost potential.
Job Title: Rail Management accountant
Reports to: Financial Controller -Heavy Haul & Rail Services
Genesse & Wyoming:
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. owns or leases 116 freight railroads worldwide (collectively “G&W” or the “company”) organised in locally managed operating regions with 7,300 employees serving 3,000 customers.
- G&W’s four North American regions serve 43 U.S. states and four Canadian provinces and include 113 short line and regional freight railroads with more than 13,000 track miles
- G&W’s UK/Europe Region includes the U.K’s largest rail maritime Intermodal operator and second-largest freight rail provider, as well as regional rail services in Continental Europe.
Rail: Established rail freight provider offering customers a wide range of rail freight solutions to cater for the requirements of a diverse market sector, providing a safe, reliable and cost-effective rail freight partnership.
Road: The combined Pentalver/Freightliner road fleet of more than 350 tractor units and 900+ trailers provide a comprehensive road haulage service from depots across the UK.
Terminals: Freightliner and Pentalver’s strategically placed inland container terminals offer full coverage of the UK.
Pentalver terminals offer a diverse range of container services including container storage, repairs, conversions and sales as well as refrigeration services and cargo handling
Reporting to the Financial Controller – Heavy Haul & Rail Services, you will be responsible for delivering transactional accounting processing relating to Revenue, Opex and G&A costs for all Rail entities.
The primary purpose of the role is to ensure that all relevant transactional processing is completed timeously and accurately relating to Revenue, Operational Expenses (OPEX) and G&A such that all expenses are identified, recorded and reported within the financial systems. In addition to this the role holder will be responsible for the preparation of allocated balance sheet reconciliations and for compliance with all relevant SOx narratives.
Key Focus Areas:
- Preparation and posting of month end Revenue, OPEX & G&A journals and accruals.
- Preparation of robust month end balance sheet reconciliations for allocated accounts and timeous action to investigate and resolve reconciling items;
- During the month end process early identification of areas of concern and liaison with the Financial Controller – Heavy Haul & Rail Services to determine and action the appropriate resolution;
- In conjunction with the Financial Controller – Heavy Haul & Rail Services perform analytical reviews of Revenue, OPEX and G&A costs to ensure variances by platform, site and product etc to budget, prior year and run rate are understood, documented and any corrective actions identified;
- In conjunction with the Financial Controller – Heavy Haul & Rail Services provide clear commentary on OPEX and G&A for monthly review packs;
- Develop and enhance the month end close process for Revenue, OPEX & G&A cost streamlining where necessary;
- Working closely with the rest of the Heavy Haul & Rail Services R2R team as well as relevant FBPs
- Ensure compliance with relevant SOx narratives; and
- Assist with audit queries and preparation of required audit analysis both internal and external.
Skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- Part qualified accountant with a minimum of 2 years’ experience.
- A team player with experience of working in an SSC would be an advantage, must have experience of working in a large complex business.
- Must have a good understanding of relevant IFRS’s and fundamental accounting principles and the application thereof.
- Must have experience of accounting for significant classes of operational expenditure for example maintenance or fuel.
- Proficient in managing large data sets and confident using excel
Ability to manage own work load and prioritise effectively and experience of meeting tight month end deadlines and working under pressure.
- Great Plains experience preferable but not essential.
- On time month end close.
- Balance sheet reconciliations completed on time and to an acceptable standard.
- Quantum and value of month-on-month Revenue, OPEX and G&A correction adjustments.
- Quantum and value of year end audit adjustments.
- Quantum of SOx failures/issues.
- Stakeholder feedback
- Attacks goals and objectives with drive, energy and enthusiasm;
- Proactive approach to work and uses own initiative to implement improvements;
- Embraces new challenges, is hand on and gets things done;
- Sets high standards of work for self, and consistently achieves these;
- Listens attentively to others’ perspectives and provides constructive feedback and coaching;
Exhibits and lives the Group’s core values:
Focus for disciplined growth;
Integrity to earn the trust of others;
Respect for all people with whom we deal;
Excellence in everything we do.
We are looking for the most committed and reliable individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and experience needed for their roles.
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a competitive pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team