Head of Analytics - Principal Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We are not your standard bank, we are an innovation hub. We are part of the team that launched Chase as a new UK bank in 2021, and are now starting on a new initiative with big ambitions. More details will be provided during the interview but for now we can enthusiastically say: It’s challenging, it’s high stakes, it’s fun!
Our team is at the heart of building this new venture. We have created a new organisation with diverse professionals that come from a wide set of skills, backgrounds and experiences, including top tech giants, blockchain innovators and FinTech unicorns.
Team members have autonomy to collaborate and work in a cross-functional way. We value your opinion in every matter. Our inclusive culture is hugely important to us and we are looking for intellectually curious, compassionate people who would like to expand their skills whilst working on a new exciting venture for the firm. We are about bringing new products to market that solve real-world problems for real-life customers, not just innovation for the sake of innovation. We are human first; we love working with each other, and we need personal connections and in-person bonding. We find we are happier, more motivated and more productive this way. If this sounds like something that you would like to be a part of we’d encourage you to read on and apply.What we do
- Use domain modeling techniques to allow us to build best in class business products.
- Structure software so that it is easy to understand, test and evolve.
- Build solutions that avoid single points of failure, using scalable architectural patterns.
- Develop secure code so that our customers and ourselves are protected from malicious actors.
- Promptly investigate and fix issues and ensure they do not resurface in the future.
- Make sure we deliver stable, regression free releases for our customers.
- Keep an eye on performance, making sure we use the right approach to identify and solve problems.
- Ensure our applications deliver the best customer experience.
- Keep us up to date by continuously updating our technologies and patterns.
This is a hands-on role for an Analytics Lead who wants to be part of a flat-structure organisation and influence the design & development of a green-field initiative.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead and manage a team of data analytics engineers to design, develop, and implement data analytics platforms and infrastructure for our multi-cloud product across GCP and AWS.
- Architecture and design: Design and develop scalable, cost-effective, and secure data architectures and solutions, utilizing appropriate GCP and AWS services and technologies.
- Data analytics and insights: Collaborate with data analysts, data scientists, and business stakeholders to develop analytics solutions that deliver valuable insights to support data-driven decision-making. Support both realtime and batch data, with ease and speed.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate data storage and processing technologies, such as Bigtable, BigQuery, and other GCP and AWS services.
- Data visualization: Drive the creation of intuitive and interactive data visualizations to present complex analytical results, enabling non-technical stakeholders to understand and interpret data effectively.
- Business Intelligence (BI) Implementation: Oversee the implementation and management of BI tools and platforms, enabling self-service analytics for internal teams and customers.
- Performance optimization: Continuously monitor, analyze, and optimize analytics solutions to improve performance, reduce costs, and ensure reliability and scalability.
- Security and compliance: Ensure that data solutions comply with relevant data security and privacy regulations, and implement best practices for securing data at rest and in transit.
- Collaboration with Data Engineering: Collaborate closely with the Head of Data to understand data structures, data access patterns, and ensure a smooth transition from data pipelines to analytics processes.
- Technical leadership: Provide technical guidance and mentorship to the analytics team, ensuring adherence to best practices, and setting the technical direction for projects.
- Algorithm Development: Exposure to development and implementation of analytical algorithms and statistical models to gain deeper insights from data, including machine learning models.
- Continuous Learning and Improvement: Stay up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies related to data analytics, ensuring the adoption of best practices and continuous improvement within the team.
We’d like you to have extensive experience in a similar role, along with a few key technical skills:
- Programming languages: Proficiency in languages commonly used in data engineering and analytics, such as Python, R, Java, or Scala. Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, with the ability to break down complex problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Data Analytics Tools: Extensive experience with popular data analytics and data manipulation tools, such as Google Cloud's BigQuery and Apache Spark.
- Machine Learning and Statistical Modeling: Exposure to machine learning algorithms, statistical modeling, and data mining techniques; nice to have experience using libraries like TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, or PyTorch.
- Data analytics and visualization: Strong understanding of data analytics, data visualisation, and business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker, Power BI, Google Data Studio) to create interactive and insightful dashboards. Experience with lambda architectures is beneficial.
- Cloud platforms expertise: Previous experience working with data analytics in a cloud-native environment, preferably Google Cloud Platform (GCP), utilizing services like Pub/Sub, Dataflow, and Cloud Storage. Relevant certifications (e.g., AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Google Cloud Professional Data Engineer) are a plus, as well as hands-on knowledge of Bigtable and BigQuery
- Database Systems: Knowledge of various data storage options, especially within the realm of OLAP (e.g., relational databases, NoSQL, data lakes) and hands-on experience with managing and optimizing databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, BigQuery, and Redshift.
- Leadership and communication: Ability to lead a team of engineers, collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, and communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
We’d also like you to have a few key personal skills. Every organisation has its own culture, and we want you to be successful in ours.
- A desire to teach others and share knowledge. We aren’t looking for hero developers, more for team players. We want you to coach other team members on coding practices, design principles, and implementation patterns
- Comfortable in uncharted waters. We are building something new. Things change quickly. We need you to learn technologies and patterns quickly
- Ability to see the long term. We don’t want you to sacrifice the future for the present. We want you to choose technologies and approaches based on the end goals.
- High standards. We are looking for people who expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Clarity of thought. We operate quickly and efficiently, and we value people who are economical with their time and clear with their opinions
- Comfortable working within a geographically distributed team
- We primarily use JVM based languages (Java/Kotlin) but we also have parts of the platform that use other languages as needed (Go, Python, etc.)
- We look to use Open source/SaaS when it makes sense and build ourselves when it doesn't
- We are entirely cloud native and want to build a truly multi-cloud solution
- We look at each problem independently and pick the right technology to solve it
- We aren’t afraid to try new things but we always remember that we are looking to build something to last, and we focus on solving real world problems for real life customers