Mainframe Software Engineer II
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
You’re ready to gain the skills and experience needed to grow within your role and advance your career — and we have the perfect software engineering opportunity for you.
As a Mainframe Software Engineer II at JPMorgan Chase within the Corporate Technology Reference Data, you are part of an agile team that works to enhance, design, and deliver the software components of the firm’s state-of-the-art technology products in a secure, stable, and scalable way. As an emerging member of a software engineering team, you execute software solutions through the design, development, and technical troubleshooting of multiple components within a technical product, application, or system, while gaining the skills and experience needed to grow within your role.
- Executes standard software solutions, design, development, and technical troubleshooting
- Writes secure and high-quality code using the syntax of at least one programming language with limited guidance
- Designs, develops, codes, and troubleshoots with consideration of upstream and downstream systems and technical implications
- Applies knowledge of tools within the Software Development Life Cycle toolchain to improve the value realized by automation
- Applies technical troubleshooting to break down solutions and solve technical problems of basic complexity
- Gathers, analyzes, and draws conclusions from large, diverse data sets to identify problems and contribute to decision-making in service of secure, stable application development
- Learns and applies system processes, methodologies, and skills for the development of secure, stable code and systems
- Adds to team culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Formal training or certification on software engineering concepts and applied experience
- Hands-on practical experience in system design, application development, testing, and operational stability
- Experience in developing, debugging, and maintaining code in a large corporate environment with one or more modern programming languages and database querying languages
- Demonstrable ability to code in one or more languages
- Experience across the whole Software Development Life Cycle
- Exposure to agile methodologies such as CI/CD, Application Resiliency, and Security
- Emerging knowledge of software applications and technical processes within a technical discipline (e.g., cloud, artificial intelligence, machine learning, mobile, etc.)
Preferred qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Familiarity with modern front-end technologies
- Exposure to cloud technologies
- DB2, COBOL, JCl, CICS, VSAM, MQ, Stored Procedures.
- Job Scheduling, as well as Mainframe tools such as ChangeMan, TSO, SPUFI and Platinum.
- Other desirable skills that are useful but not necessarily required are Java, Oracle, AWS and related tools.