Principal Account Leader - Scotland North
Location: Aberdeen City
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
As Buildings and Cities (BNC) Principal Account Leader (PAL) focussed on Scotland North you will work across the geography principally covering our 3 offices in Aberdeen, Inverness and Lerwick whilst also directly supporting the Scotland Portfolio PAL as required. You will own and develop a number of client accounts personally, which may span across the Division as a whole, as well as directing, managing and mentoring Account Leaders for a defined set of other client accounts.
You will report directly to the Scotland Portfolio PAL.
Precise responsibilities for account ownership and reporting will be confirmed in due course, in conjunction with the successful candidate.
This role is strategic and critical for maintaining and further building MM's relationships with clients and other stakeholders across the geography, to drive and be accountable for the winning and delivering of excellent work to budgeted time/cost. You will provide visible leadership and support to staff across the geography, actively promoting and supporting welfare and our commitment to EDI and Health, Safety and Wellbeing in all aspects of our operation.
In parallel with the above, key responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing the activities of Account Leaders
- Developing strong and robust client relationships
- Growing and developing key Accounts within Mott MacDonald in response to organisational needs and Mott MacDonald strategy
- Identifying Opportunities and turning them into Prospects
- Supporting the Bid Principal to convert Prospects into Projects ensuring bids are technically and commercially sound
- Supporting the Project Principal to deliver commercially robust projects and quality outcomes for Clients to budget on schedule through project teams
- Supporting the management of risk and commercial performance on projects
- Being accountable for ensuring projects comply with MM STEP directives and policies and core principles such as health safety and welfare, ethics, sustainability and technical governance
- Promoting account leadership across the wider business
- Working effectively with Resource Managers and the Sector/Practice Leaders to bring the right resources to deliver to the Client's satisfaction and meeting MM's profit or contribution targets
- Running appropriate account meetings with client and senior level management involvement
- Directing, managing and mentoring Account Leaders in delivering all the above
- Addressing client's issues and fulfilling their aspirations on sustainability
- Accountability for budget and spending on allocated overheads
- Acting as Office Principal for the offices within the geography - this encompasses a series of premises related accountabilities and requires collaboration with the central property team to fulfil.
- Be currently at Grade F or above (internal candidates)
- Existing or previous client account management experience
- Experience of winning work and delivering projects to clients in the built environment sector
- Domain knowledge of at least one major engineering discipline active in the built environment in order to be able to actively engage at the most senior level
- Strong commercial acumen and track record of delivering project portfolios on time and on budget
- Experience in resolving commercial difficulties on projects
- Demonstrable experience of successful business development and achievement of targets
- A strong record of working collaboratively both within Mott MacDonald (internal candidates) and externally
- The ability to identify and mitigate risks of all kinds, and to identify and maximise opportunities
- Demonstrable leadership skills including as an advocate and developer of internal strategy
- Demonstrable strong client and stakeholder relationship building skills
- Demonstrable experience in converting prospects to projects and in leading the WIN process
- Excellent verbal and written communication, with clients, project teams, business managers and staff.
Applications should be submitted by 5pm on Wednesday 22nd November 2023, and should consist of:
- A CV
- A brief written statement (no minimum length, and no longer than 2A4 pages) describing:
- the candidate's key areas of interest, knowledge, skills and experience relevant to the role
- their personal qualities that they feel makes them suitable for role
All Expressions of Interest will be assessed, and we reserve the right to select a short list for interview.
Any interview arrangements are subject to confirmation, but likely to be conducted over Teams by or around the end of November / first week in December 2023.
Again subject to further development and confirmation, those invited to interview are likely to be asked to prepare a brief presentation (expected to be no more than 10 minutes) covering their vision for the role, how they propose to undertake the job, and how they will tackle any key challenges. This presentation will likely be followed by a series of short pre-set questions (the same ones for all candidates).